TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Capri with 323GTX drivetrain  (Read 17968 times)

Kenter

• 93 Mercury Capri
Capri with 323GTX drivetrain
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »

Hey everyone I've been a lurker for sometime now. I've got myself a 93 Capri and just a couple days ago I've bought a 323GTX that has a bent valve. I want to swap in the all wheel drive to the Capri I've lurked around rocket mans build thread and I wanted some more specs and photos of the swap. Any ways right now I'm looking for info to get me started.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Capri with 323GTX drivetrain
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »

Its the BF 323 right, because I know Rocket said the BG wont work in the Capri, because everything's a bit bigger? Also when you do please post good pictures, I'm thinking of going the same route. First things first, I would ditch the GTX engine if its the 1.6l, that would cost way too much to rebuild if you already have a good 1.6l out of your Capri. I have no idea if you current Capri is a XR2 so ill just guess, and say its a NA 1.6l so take all the turbo bits off the GTX motor and put it on the Capris motor. I know you're going to need to take both engines and transmissions out to even get the GTX transmission to fit. Make sure you have a welder and a saw of some sort, I know Rocket did a fairly good bit of cutting to get it all in place.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:56:00 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:29:48 PM »

Is there anything wrong with the GTX? If not then you already have an awd car.

Kenter

• 93 Mercury Capri
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:13:23 AM »

You're right snake mine is a na capri, and the motor in the 323 has a bent or broken valve from the timing belt breaking. How do I know wether it's a bf or a bg? Azgtx the 323 has extensive sub frame rot under the car that looks to me as though its catastrophic. That and I really want my Capri to be unique in that it will be awd.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 12:27:50 AM »

Isn't the B6T non-interference?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 01:50:27 AM »

BF just means it was made pre 89 i believe. BGs are 1989 and up. It just has to do with the model/chassis specifications and the differences in the restyle of the car. The BG is a better car than the BF as they worked some problems out, the thing is from what i know from doing my own research on the GTX swap Rocket said you need to make more room for the BG AWD Tranny. He also said that the BF rear subframe wont fit i think. Do you have another car? ; because its going to take up to a month to do the swap. Have you ever done a engine swap before because its not going to be easy you're going to have to label all the wires so everything will go back in smooth. This is also going to require welding the subframe from the GTX on the car so i hope you have experience with that. The main thing you will need will be patience, and  the ability to keep yourself motivated, because when doing things like this it gets hard to stay motivated. I know Rocket will beable to help get you through it. I honestly can't wait to see this come together the Capri really deserves to have the performance to match its looks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:02:04 AM by WashiestSnake »

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 03:40:37 AM »

Fix the GTX and drive it, it's a far rarer car then any Capri with much more pedigree and value. I spent years collecting spare parts from other folks so I would not have to sacrifice a GTX (bad car karma)

The B6T engine is non-interference, bent valves don't really happen. Are you sure that's the issue?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Kenter

• 93 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 04:03:27 PM »

Yeah I've done an engine swap before: http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=12752.0 all the pictures are gone but that was me. I'm considering buying a metro or a corolla for commuting while I'm swapping.

The fellow I bought the Gtx from said it had a broken valve maybe the timing is a little off it feels a little retarded when it runs and you goose it. I would fix the Gtx it's just it has frame rot and I don't want to deal with that while my Capri is near pristine imho, so it deserves to be unique like it is. That and the Gtx isn't convertible.  :) I've taken (against my better judgement) a perfectly fine 64 ford falcon four door to the scrap yard before so any bad karma is good karma right?  ;)

Yeah it's the bf (87 model to be exact) I researched it on Wikipedia last night and was going to jump on here, but it got too late. Is it true rocket man that the rear bf subframe won't work?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »

Its the BG that wont fit, apparently either way youre going to have to cut up the trunk and drill to get it to fit correctly. The BG is a completely different chassis i believe so it would be much harder swap. You have exactly what you need to do it since the Capri was designed around a BF 323. I also just thought you if your lucky can swap the floorpan/trans tunnel to make the exhaust routing easier, considering if your in the car modefiying it to AWD might as well do it right. Another thing  i would do considering youll probably end up scrapping the GTX shell would be to save all the interior bits. I agree with the swap, only because the car would deteriorate to the point  where it will be no use to anyone. When i do my swap I'm going to try and source parts from appready chopped up GTX's Id hate to take a pristine GTX of the road. One nitpicky thing is when you do the swap please clean up and repaint the subframe i hate when i look at Rockets build pics that its all rusty, thats no good for the long term of your Capri.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:39:53 PM by WashiestSnake »

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:43:25 PM »

BF platform 86-89 model year 323's. The BF GTX was only imported to North America in 88 model year and the first few months of the 89 model year. No BG GTX's were imported to North America. You can find them for sale in Canada off and on now. Import protocols are in affect for cars over 25 years old.
If you successfully transplant the GTX floorpan you will indeed make a lot of things easier.
1) have a place to house the saddle type fuel tank and retain your trunk. There is a main pump and a transfer pump system.
2) have a place to run the propeller shaft and exhaust system side by side
3) you will have the mounting points to bolt in the rear sub frame
4) save the seat rails as they are exclusive to the GTX floorpan.
Yes this will be a lot of work but if pulled off you will have a bolt in swap on your hands. The BG and BF awd trannies are the same size.. except the BG tranny does not use the locking motor due to the viscous center LSD and the BG tranny will tilt the motor 11* to the front. Honestly why would you want to cut up a near pristine Capri..get another one in lesser condition in case this goes south and have at it..sounds like a worthwhile project if you have all the stuff.
I have never heard of a bent valve in a B6t..no interference. Likely a bad crank nose or the springs in the bottom of the distributor have come apart and started to cut the disty case in half.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »

and
5) have the mounts in place for the steering rack sitting over the transfer carrier on the awd tranny.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »

Okay one question, wouldn't swapping the floorpan make it so you'd have to redrill the holes on the GTX pan for the convertible top?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »

What does the floor pan have to do with the top? I would just swap in the center of the GTX floorpan from front to where it passes the rear seat and then the whole trunk floor. Stay away from the rockers as best you can. That way you get the tunnel  and the mounting area for the fuel tank. If Matt would have had the floorpan I would bet he would have used it that way.  Matt needs to chime in here as well.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »

Ah gotcha I'm not the one with the GTX, I'm just collecting research for when I get around to do it. I was looking under my Capri, and there really is no room for the rear subframe. I honestly sent a pm the day before this thread was started to Matt for information on the swap, so the timing works out great for me. The reason I brought up the top was its connected to the floorpan.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 07:29:53 PM by WashiestSnake »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »

I was able to dig this up not sure if it will help you has all the pictures from Rocket(Matts) conversion. http://www.werbatfik.com/gtxr2.htm
Pages: [1] 2