TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1gen Legacy Sport EBC  (Read 7592 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
1gen Legacy Sport EBC
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:07 PM »

Has anyone here used an OEM boost control solenoid from another vehicle entirely, and just rigged it up to a potentiometer or a dimmer switch?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 1gen Legacy Sport EBC
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »

"just rigged up" there's a lot more to it than that: you need a boost pressure sensor and a microcontroller & PWM circuit to modulate the valve to control the boost. There needs to be a feedback loop.

You can build in Electronic Boost Control into many Megasquirt units, even limit boost in first gear
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »

I mean to use it strictly in the same manner a manual boost controller would be used. all the other support systems are already there.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »

A manual boost controller and an electric boost control solenoid are two totally different things.

The manual boost controller is operated by the pressure of the intake manifold actuating the valve against the force of a spring. The boost pressure is set by adjusting the spring tension against the valve.

A boost control solenoid is just an electrically operated proportional valve. The more power you send to the valve the farther it opens. In order to control the valve you’ll need a sensor to read the manifold pressure and then a circuit or microcontroller to determine if the boost valve needs to be opened and by how much from the sensor readings.

If you just hooked up a potentiometer to it, the valve would end up being open proportionally to the amount of power sent to it. If the valve is constantly open at all, you won’t be able to build pressure.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 06:57:51 PM »

the spring in the MBC is the regulator, it works as a lovely integrated feedback mechanism. It opens when the boost pressure builds up to a certain level, allowing the wastegate to open. It opens/closes rapidly to regulate the air.

You need a feedback circuit to open the solenoid. Chrispoe is correct
Our cars do not have the correct style of sensors "already there" for a high response rate closed loop/feedback circuit. You would need to add these. Or buy a proper EBC
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »

Gotcha. I understand now. I meant that the supporting systems are all adjacent to said EBS, all on the same bracket, of the Legacy. Not that they are in the XR2. I assume it could be rigged up to function the same as it did on the Legacy.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »

I have some HKS manual boost controlers with install instructions for the B6t. I have used those for years on the GTX's.  60.00 shipped in US. Or you can get one of the cheap bleed valves off of ebay and rig up the kit

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

Right, I just like the idea of saving money wherever I can.