TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: New water pump project for summer  (Read 3224 times)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
New water pump project for summer
« on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:39 PM »

I have a 94 NA with 99k miles.  I want to replace the water pump this summer and buy everything from RockAuto.  What should I purchase?  Here's my list so far:

1. Gates water pump
2. Gates 195 degree thermostat and gasket
3. Dayco timing belt and component kit
4. ??

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: New water pump project for summer
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:58 AM »

Valve cover gasket
Front main seal (for the large nose engine)
Camshaft seals
Lower radiator hose if needed
Smaller coolant lines between bypass hose, throttlebody, and t-stat housing if needed]

Sounds like you're pulling the engine to do the clutch? Water pump is significantly easier with the engine out.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 01:41:47 PM »

I wasn't planning on pulling the engine.  More interested in any other belts/etc. that would be good to replace as a preventative maintenance precaution while I'm doing this work (without going crazy).

I forgot about the valve cover gasket - good one.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »

Pull the engine - you'll be a solid 95% of the way there. Well worth the saved hassle & busted knuckles not to mention time
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:37 PM »

in my opinion it would be the best way  to pull out the engine and replace  clutch and water pump at same time if you are planed to do these things. maybe replace some more gaskets than.

for only changing timing belt and water pump i would not pull it out. its not that complicated.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »

You might consider pulling the alternator, if it has the same mounting configuration as the XR2. I pulled mine when I had to service the belt drive system last fall. Turned out that even though I hadn't noticed an issue, the voltage regulator lost a diode on me, so the guys at our local alternator shop replaced it with my good used spare. It was very difficult to get it out of there.

Also, take careful note of how the harmonic balancer assembly comes apart. Whoever had mine apart last put the bolt ring in as a spacer rather than a retainer ring, which might have contributed to the shearing of 2 of the 4 6mm bolts that hold it all together.  Putting that back together correctly is essential to keeping it together for the long haul.

My 2 cents
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.