TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Poll

Would you be interested in having my shop build custom exhaust for the XR2?

No
- 0 (0%)
Yes
- 3 (60%)
It's cheaper to buy local
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 24, 2016, 01:53:03 PM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Custom Exhaust Built to Spec  (Read 117741 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Custom Exhaust Built to Spec
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:52 AM »

Man those sound nice. Excellent work!
Ditto definitely gonna go by the shop next year for MACG.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 09:30:08 AM »

If you want, I can build you one just like this and ship it for $400 total. It's 2.25" dump pipe back, single exit.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 10:41:22 AM »

The moment I have that cash laying around, I'll probably do exactly that. :D Excellent work, especially that bend over the rear. Glad the resonance didn't seem to be affected!

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »

The moment I have that cash laying around, I'll probably do exactly that. :D Excellent work, especially that bend over the rear. Glad the resonance didn't seem to be affected!

Surprisingly enough, that 18" resonator does a lot for that system. My existing system doesn't have one and it drones, to a fault. Perhaps I could use a shorter resonator to give it a bit of grumble back.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2016, 01:30:36 PM »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »

If you want, I can build you one just like this and ship it for $400 total. It's 2.25" dump pipe back, single exit.
That definetly will be something ill do once I get further in my build. Is there any chance you could do a custom down pipe for a Garret GT2560r turbo? Currently my car is a N/A, so i wouldnt be able to use the system till I get it boosted.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 10:15:09 PM »

It would be guesswork unless I had either the car, the turbo and manifold, or a very detailed blueprint.

Crapi Attitude

• '91 BP Capri, '12 Versa 6MT, Bad Dragon
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:04 AM »

I'm very interested. Sounds like you work at Tim's Custom Exhaust. I was already talking to someone there.

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »

Thanks for posting the videos.  The exhaust tone is better, but still to farty for me.  Is there a different muffler (flowmaster, etc) or something else that will reduce the ricer sound?  I'm seeking a throatier rumble.  Thanks.   

CavScout

• 91 Capri XR2, 87 Pontiac Fiero GT, 87 Toyota MR2
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »

Thanks for posting the videos.  The exhaust tone is better, but still to farty for me.  Is there a different muffler (flowmaster, etc) or something else that will reduce the ricer sound?  I'm seeking a throatier rumble.  Thanks.

I thought it was too ricer for me as well (tho honestly I wonder what can be done with a 4 cyl turbo) but have you only watched the videos on your phone? It made a huge difference listening to it when I played it on my PC with only decent speakers - it sounded much better / deeper. My phone really couldn't reproduce the sound well. Much better bass with stand alone speakers. (I did not try headphones with my phone however.)

I should receive my exhaust today, and hope to install this weekend. Anything has to sound better than my current leaky pipes lol

Will report back with installation experience.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 12:43:41 PM »

I thought it was too ricer for me as well (tho honestly I wonder what can be done with a 4 cyl turbo) but have you only watched the videos on your phone? It made a huge difference listening to it when I played it on my PC with only decent speakers - it sounded much better / deeper. My phone really couldn't reproduce the sound well. Much better bass with stand alone speakers. (I did not try headphones with my phone however.)

I should receive my exhaust today, and hope to install this weekend. Anything has to sound better than my current leaky pipes lol

Will report back with installation experience.

Please do share your experience with it. :)

Yeah, not a whole lot can be done with a small, turbo 4 without getting a somewhat unacceptable drone. Upon completion of building that system, I reinstalled my straight-to-magnflow-11132 and put on a single exit to replace the split dual I had on it before. What I noticed was that the extra 4 feet of pipe on the dual setup certainly boasted better resonance and deeper tone, unlike the single exit, and the large, flat tips certainly had an interesting finishing tone to them.

I built Cav's system to be a daily driver sport exhaust rather than the I'm-16-and-obnoxious-pipes-are-lit-fam-bro nastiness a fart can would offer, and I hope I've hit my mark.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »

I'll play with systems next time I'm out at the shop.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:31 AM »

I suppose the easier question would be what defines a ricey exhaust. Tone won't change much with these cars, but certainly one should come to expect the baseline for which I have not the words to adequately describe how it should sound.

Also, I will try for side pipes soon, here.

CavScout

• 91 Capri XR2, 87 Pontiac Fiero GT, 87 Toyota MR2
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

Got it on today.
More mellow than I expected from video. Sounds good when you rrally get on it, but nice at cruise.

System mounted up good and solid. I never did an entire exhaust myself, but it wasn't bad at all after removing original. Harder jacking up the car to have enough clearance to work. Old pipe and muffler was in much worse shape than I thought.

I did cheat and go to a muffler shop to have em get the bolts freed up from the turbo. Thank god as all 3 studs ended up getting replaced. (I would've let them install it as it was already on their lift, but they wouldn't as it eliminated the cat.) Got good gaskets from them as well - the ones at autozone and advanced were very thin on the edge away from the bolts. Ones I got from the shop fit properly. A little of the hi temp copper (orange) permatex and she bolted right up.

Very pleased with the fitment.

I didn't go on a far drive, but liked the sound and didn't notice any dreaded and feared turbo creep. Will get her out tomorrow on the interstate and open her up a bit. :)

As thick as the pipe was, and over all condition of my car, I didn't bother to paint it. It'll likely outlive the car anyways. LOL

Will live with it for a week, and post another update.

Thanks again for a well made product!

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »

Got it on today.
More mellow than I expected from video. Sounds good when you rrally get on it, but nice at cruise.

System mounted up good and solid. I never did an entire exhaust myself, but it wasn't bad at all after removing original. Harder jacking up the car to have enough clearance to work. Old pipe and muffler was in much worse shape than I thought.

I did cheat and go to a muffler shop to have em get the bolts freed up from the turbo. Thank god as all 3 studs ended up getting replaced. (I would've let them install it as it was already on their lift, but they wouldn't as it eliminated the cat.) Got good gaskets from them as well - the ones at autozone and advanced were very thin on the edge away from the bolts. Ones I got from the shop fit properly. A little of the hi temp copper (orange) permatex and she bolted right up.

Very pleased with the fitment.

I didn't go on a far drive, but liked the sound and didn't notice any dreaded and feared turbo creep. Will get her out tomorrow on the interstate and open her up a bit. :)

As thick as the pipe was, and over all condition of my car, I didn't bother to paint it. It'll likely outlive the car anyways. LOL

Will live with it for a week, and post another update.

Thanks again for a well made product!

My pleasure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8