TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Poll

Would you be interested in having my shop build custom exhaust for the XR2?

No
- 0 (0%)
Yes
- 3 (60%)
It's cheaper to buy local
- 2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 24, 2016, 01:53:03 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Custom Exhaust Built to Spec  (Read 117758 times)

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
Custom Exhaust Built to Spec
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »

I will be basically running a custom exhaust shop in St. Cloud. I can build most systems to suit, using my own XR2 as a template, building the system/component on my car to ensure fitment. Oddball systems that may have different turbos/motors may be more difficult, and usually require the vehicle on site. We also can fabricate downpipes and headers.

I have yet to work out prices, including shipping, so this is more of a feeler post to gauge community interest. For us, by us...;)

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
Re: Custom Exhaust Built to Spec
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »

Nobody? If it helps, my mentor has been at this for 45 years, and we have been known to satisfy both the eye, the ear, and the wallet.

Where you can view our work: http://timscustomexhaust.com/photos/

Here's the new shop:
http://www.wherevent.com/detail/Tim-Stombaugh-Tims-Custom-Exhaust-St-Cloud-Grand-opening
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:22:58 PM by Gaz »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »

Id been down for a custon twin side pipe set up, but its too far away. Maybe whenever the Annual Capri Meet happens i might come through if i have the cash. Any ideas on prices?
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »

If you could make one for a 1994 NA with aftermarket mufflers I'd be interested.  Would the pipes be mandrel bent?

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »

Id been down for a custon twin side pipe set up, but its too far away. Maybe whenever the Annual Capri Meet happens i might come through if i have the cash. Any ideas on prices?

Prices will depend on the diameter of the piping, whether it'll be mild steel or stainless, compression or mandrel bent, painted or coated...all that good stuff. We could most likely accommodate shipping to the lower 48, as well. I have to speak with my old man tonight to see what the ballpark is for things like these, but in my experience, it'll be a bit difficult to nail something down without being at said shop. I'll have to take a weekend and drive down to build one for testing purposes. You may not necessarily have to bring your vehicle, but having you (the customer) there to choose mufflers, tips, sizing, material, makes everything go so much smoother. It would be foolish of me to build a system, then have it be vastly undesirable in an already small market, to drive that point home.

Having said that, I'll be using my own XR2 as the template and jig, so as to remain accurate with my bending.

And I love a good road trip. haha

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:35:25 PM »

If you could make one for a 1994 NA with aftermarket mufflers I'd be interested.  Would the pipes be mandrel bent?

Yes, we can mandrel bend, but unless your NA is some sort of speed demon, it's really more of an aesthetic choice, that of which I do not advise as it raises cost. Compression bent tubing should suit your needs just fine. All mufflers that aren't OEM are technically aftermarket, was there any brand or product that caught your eye?

Also, feel free to participate on the poll at the top of the page! :)

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 09:52:47 PM »

A bolt-in turbo-back that looks stock would be pretty sweet, but only if the price is right. Exhaust shops are aplenty out here in California, but many don't like working on 'newer' cars. As in, newer than 1975. ::)

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »

A bolt-in turbo-back that looks stock would be pretty sweet, but only if the price is right. Exhaust shops are aplenty out here in California, but many don't like working on 'newer' cars. As in, newer than 1975. ::)

I've noticed that, how the customer base year varies in relation to the harshness of the climate. Places that expose cars to more rust than Cali, or any other better region, they will work on pretty much anything.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »

Cat-back would be great to have, crazy to ship
Downpipe offered seperate might be a better option than a full turbo-back system.
The bend over the rear subframe is a crazy complicated one
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »

I think a turbo exhaust manifold or even N/A headers would have a larger market cuz they could also fit a wider range of vehicles.

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 12:52:57 AM »

Plus we all have cracked manifolds from the factory, so.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »

Cat-back would be great to have, crazy to ship
Downpipe offered seperate might be a better option than a full turbo-back system.
The bend over the rear subframe is a crazy complicated one

To a man that has a hammer, every problem is a nail.
Shipping really wouldn't be that bad, and there is always the ability to pick it up at a meet. \
I suppose I could ship whatever you need separately. Header, mid-pipe, rear section... (Dual outlet could maybe be shipped in two pieces if you don't mind an additional flange back there.)

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:44:21 PM »

I would be all over a 2 1/2" down pipe...
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »

I would be all over a 2 1/2" down pipe...

I'm planning on making a run of those, mandrel bent. I'm debating on whether or not to try to make a spring flange end so it can just be plug and play, but deleting that and putting in a flex pipe would be better.

This venue will be getting off the ground soon, I'll just have folks PM me requests and I'll provide a quote soon thereafter. Easier to keep track of, that way.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:44:18 PM by Gaz »

rsharry

• Capri and Capri XR2
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

I would realy be interestet in an exhaust system. Catback and 2,5" is what i am looking for. But think it would be to expansive to ship it to germany right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8