TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: aftermarket fuel injectors recommended?  (Read 9798 times)

Braden

aftermarket fuel injectors recommended?
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »

Hey there, I bought a 93 XR2 a few months ago and its in the process of a very thorough tune up. I plan on getting a rocketchip in the future but as for now i'm wondering what I can do or should do with the fuel injectors. I'm not even sure what size injectors the XR2 has? I figured i'd ask somebody like you guys with great experience before I start throwing money at it.      And i'm new here so if i'm doing something wrong, or not doing something let me know! lol   Thanks in advance - Braden

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

The XR2 has 300cc injectors. (they're actually rated 300-330) If you are sticking with stock size or hybrid turbos you don't need to upgrade them
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Braden

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »

ok, great! thanks for such a fast reply! And I gotta say I love this forum, there is more info here on these cars than i've seen anywhere else!

bhazard

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »

But if I put 460cc RX7 injectors in wont my car go faster!?!?
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »

Only if you use a fuel pressure regulator and turn the base pressure down to 20psi!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: aftermarket fuel injectors recommended?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 01:54:24 PM »

I was wondering about upgrading the injectors on my N/A car.  Are the turbo injectors an upgrade?  Also, is there a Rocket chip for the N/A engine?

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:56:08 PM »

You only need to upgrade your fuel injectors when you've maxxed out your current ones. If your wideband is showing very lean under load/redline then yes maybe consider an upgrade.

Increase airflow first, fuel to follow. (not just things like a cold air intake or exhaust) Otherwise you will hurt your engine's performance

No Rocketchip for the N/A. You can go to a MegaSquirt to gain the ability to tune, and convert to more modern ignition electronics to pick up some 'free' power

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »

Increase airflow first, fuel to follow. (not just things like a cold air intake or exhaust) Otherwise you will hurt your engine's performance

You're referring to porting and cams?

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »

Porting & cams would probably be one of the easier ways of increasing power/airflow on an N/A yes. Not the only way, but easiest

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »

For those of us sitting in the "remedial" section... what are you guys talking about? 

[If your wideband is showing very lean under load] - what's this mean?

How do you increase airflow? 

What is involved in going to more modern ignition electronics?   
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:20:02 AM »

For those of us sitting in the "remedial" section... what are you guys talking about? 

[If your wideband is showing very lean under load] - what's this mean?

Your car has an oxygen sensor. It tells the computer roughly how much fresh unburned oxygen is left in the exhaust. (air/fuel ratio) It uses this as a feedback sensor to trim the fuel injection while you're cruising on the highway or other constant speeds/loads under "closed loop" mode. This maximizes MPG.

There are aftermarket sensors called "WideBand O2" systems that are more accurate, and tell EXACT air/fuel ratios to you. (the stock sensors are "Narrowband" and are only accurate in a very small part of the AFR range) If you are showing LEAN under load (excess oxygen in the exhaust) this means that your fuel system is maxxed out & unable to keep up with the airflow your engine is capable of.

How do you increase airflow? 

Your engine is essentially an air pump. Make it pump more air = more power. Install a better camshaft with performance oriented timing/overlap/lift. Install an exhaust header. Port & polish the heads. Install oversize valves. Increase the static compression. Balance the rotating assembly to let it rev higher. All of these things can increase airflow. On a nonturbo engine, the $$ bill adds up quickly.

What is involved in going to more modern ignition electronics?

Installing & tuning an aftermarket fuel injection computer will allow you to do this. Megasquirt is a very popular one. There are others. They can work with the stock distributor, but the distributor system is archaic and lossy compared to today's systems. You'll need to replace the distributor with a coilpack & appropriate sensors such as an optical CAS (available from the Miata) or add a trigger wheel & VR sensor to the crankshaft pulley, such as used in the Ford EDIS-4 systems. Then tell the ECU what you have, with the appropriate settings, and all will play nicely together :)

Sorry if these are over your head, these are the basics. Googling the above terms & systems will be able to shed more light than I am able to

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

Yay, another necro post!

I saw on YouTube there is a guy that used an evo8 turbo (Which I assume is a 16G), and I'm going to be doing this eventually. Assuming I will be using Megasquirt for tuning purposes, which injectors would y'all recommend? Alternatively, would a rocketchip suffice with larger injectors, FPR, and all the supporting mods with a 16G?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 02:09:02 PM by Gaz »

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »

Bumping prior post

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »

I have had a lot of customers run a 16G with the Rocketchip. You will need to run a Wideband O2 and monitor AFRs closely while slowly increasing boost until you find the limits of the stock fuel system.

You can check an injector calculator for the optimal flowrate for your hp goals on the Megasquirt system, they'll likely be in the 450-500cc range. There are countless injectors both from other cars and aftermarket that will fit the bill

Everyone's setup is vastly different, and not too many of the folks here have pressed that far with the Capri. You might want to check out the forum archives on ClubProtege and FordFestiva - there have been many high power B6T's swapped that may provide a starting point for your setup.