TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: front struts  (Read 2231 times)

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
front struts
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:36:02 PM »

Should I replace both front struts at the same time
Which brand should I use
And how to swap the springs from old to new

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: front struts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »

If one strut is worn the other isn't far behind so yes replace both of them. Then you need to determine if any other part of the front end is worn like the ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends and wheel bearings. All those have to be in good shape for a proper wheel alignment.

There's different strokes for different folks. Some replace things as they break while others do preventive maintenance. I like to know my stuff is right and hopefully not break down on the road so I'm one that would replace everything. That logic applies to the suspension as they are all moving parts that work together. If you have a bad ball joint you can almost guarantee the other ball joints and tierods are close to worn out. Do you want to replace them one at a time or get it over with?

Advance, AutoZone and O'Reillys has a free tool loaner program with a deposit. There you can borrow a strut spring compressor. Don't confuse it with the coil spring compressor they have as they work the opposite. One clamps inside the spring while the other on the outer.

You'll also need the strut mounts which you see attached to the fender walls. The center nut on them holds the assembly together so don't remove that nut without compressing the spring or you could get hurt. If you never done it before you need to learn how first by the manual or a YouTube video.

Brands? Most here prefer the KYB struts. I bought the Monroes for mine because they were on sale. They have served me well.

Check out Rock Auto, Advance or Amazon for deals. TRT41 code gets you $40 off $100 at Advances website.

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
Re: front struts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »

Thanks Mitch
I went with the KYB struts for my replacement it only took 1 day to ship to my home .

I haven't test drove it yet but I'm glad I replaced both of them, after I removed them, you could tell they were extremely worn.

The spring compressors were really interesting, I just hope I put it all back together correctly. ...
While working in the area I found a torn boot on a cv axle
Now I'm researching how to change it out. Looks like the boot is torn and all the grease is coming out.
Again thanks for all of your advise and help.