TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: horn relay  (Read 7480 times)

JJ

horn relay
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »

So the horn and cruise stopped working. power to both goes through the horn relay. As it's exposed to most of the elements, this part does seem to wear out rather quickly. Even if yours is still working, may be worth undoing the bolt and looking at it. lol. 2 cars and it looks like lightning hit them both; they were in pretty bad shape.

replacement listed under 1989 mazda 323 worked fine.

ordered from Autozone

Duralast/Relay - Horn
Part Number: 20431
Alternate Part Number: 41-5153
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Price:   $19.99

hopefully this one will last another 25 years.

Bitter

• My friends Capri is a thorn in my side.
Re: horn relay
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:55:31 AM »

Great info!

Years back before I knew about this forum I repaired a horn relay on the 91 Capri my aunt has, electrically it worked but the bottom of the relay case had rotted out. I was able to mend it with epoxy putty and it worked again for some time but did fail a few weeks later. What I ended up doing was to wire in a standard 4 pin relay even though it's a 3 wire part. The OE part grounds the relay coil through the case so just put a little wire with an eyelet on one side of the relay coil and use a star washer to bite into the paint where it bolts down with the eyelet between the relay and the body, then connect the other 3 wires normally. It works fine and the parts are $5 if you need a new relay. I need to update her to a sealed relay which uses weather pack type seals and a skirt to keep water out, at a later date.