TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap  (Read 11594 times)

woz

• 91 Capri non-turbo
Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »

What spark plugs, wires and cap to you recommend for a '91 Carpi (non-turbo).  The car has 99k, in great shape and driven less than 500 miles a year so I don't want to put a ton of $ into it but I do want to keep it running great.

Thanks,

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

I'd buy a single platinum plug in the $3 range. Even the cheap copper ones will last 35K.
I like the NGK G Power lately. It's a good mix of price and quality. Denso TT is a good plug at a good price.

Irdium plugs I don't much care for every day driving. Maybe race applications but not for stock engines. I've recently pulled a head that used irdiums. The valves were all white indicating they burn hotter and fool your ECM of a lean condition. The ones I've seen the plug gap is not adjustable. Like my Explorer had them and the gap was ,040 when normal gap is .054, I'm not sure about gap mods because it has to change the spark duration. You know they are adjusting for heat. The irdium is like 1mm coated on copper. I don't think you can justify the cost.

Caps and wires you'll be limited on at the chain parts stores. RockAuto seems to have the best selection. Compare the warranties will give you an idea of quality which ranges from 30 days to lifetime.
I think I bought all my stuff at Advance online which was limited but served me well. Use code TRT41 will get you $40 off a $100 so you can buy other stuff too, lol. I know other codes if you want to spend less.

If the car is parked for extended periods then treat the fuel with conditioner. The gas tanks are prone to rusting.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:46:07 AM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »

Just got an email from Rockauto and they have a bunch of stuff on closeout including wires:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1196625&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:38:03 AM »

Just got an email from Rockauto and they have a bunch of stuff on closeout including wires:

http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1196625&m=wc&l=en&html=true

Jack Byrd

There are some good deals. I guess little Johnny isn't getting any Christmas presents this year, lol.

...sorry, I was going to buy you something but this guy Jack posted a link to some incredible buys I couldn't help myself. :)

woz

• 91 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »

Thanks all.  I will check out Rock Auto.  As for the fuel conditioner, any specific recommendation?

mitch1204

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:44 PM »

I've always used Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. The red stuff. It's never let me down. I use it on all my engines from the lawn mower on up. It'll keep your gas fresh for a year or so.

Ethanol is bad about drawing moisture so if you can buy regular gas along with the stabilizer you shouldn't have any worries. Run the engine long enough to reach the injectors.

CavScout

• 91 Capri XR2, 87 Pontiac Fiero GT, 87 Toyota MR2
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:10:48 PM »

Hate bumping an older thread.... but speaking of caps, rotors and wires...

I just purchased a fairly well cared for 91 XR2 that has just over 100k. Drove it about 300 miles home no problems except finding out the gas tank leaks if topped off. (Car sat with half a tank for a long time.)

Anyways, after power washing the engine, it ran like crap of course getting stuff wet that didn't like it. Seemed to act better after it dried out. But then a couple days later, after stopping at a light, it did it again, sounded and felt like it was running on 1 cylinder.

Got home (barely) and the cap, rotor and wires looked original. (Numbers on the wires, Mitsubishi marked cap.) Got an autozone branded cap, rotor and wires  (strangely the coil wire wouldn't snap on well so I used the old one... also left the plugs alone.) And it ran great... for a month.

Stopped at a light a month later, and car died. Love when a light turns green and you have to put on your flashers! Limped a block to, ta-da! Right across the street from autozone!) I didn't think it was the parts I just replaced, but after checking everything else I could thinking of, pulled battery, rembed cap and part of the rotor flew off never to be found. Inside of the cap was plastic shavings and burns. Took parts into autozone fairly upset, they had record of the purchase and gave me the last cap and rotor they had. Put car back together and it's been running great for a week.

I'm really hoping this car isn't in a habit of eating caps and rotors, and I just got a bad set the first time. Anyone else have similar issues with caps and rotors?

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »

Hate bumping an older thread.... but speaking of caps, rotors and wires...

I just purchased a fairly well cared for 91 XR2 that has just over 100k. Drove it about 300 miles home no problems except finding out the gas tank leaks if topped off. (Car sat with half a tank for a long time.)

Anyways, after power washing the engine, it ran like crap of course getting stuff wet that didn't like it. Seemed to act better after it dried out. But then a couple days later, after stopping at a light, it did it again, sounded and felt like it was running on 1 cylinder.

Got home (barely) and the cap, rotor and wires looked original. (Numbers on the wires, Mitsubishi marked cap.) Got an autozone branded cap, rotor and wires  (strangely the coil wire wouldn't snap on well so I used the old one... also left the plugs alone.) And it ran great... for a month.

Stopped at a light a month later, and car died. Love when a light turns green and you have to put on your flashers! Limped a block to, ta-da! Right across the street from autozone!) I didn't think it was the parts I just replaced, but after checking everything else I could thinking of, pulled battery, rembed cap and part of the rotor flew off never to be found. Inside of the cap was plastic shavings and burns. Took parts into autozone fairly upset, they had record of the purchase and gave me the last cap and rotor they had. Put car back together and it's been running great for a week.

I'm really hoping this car isn't in a habit of eating caps and rotors, and I just got a bad set the first time. Anyone else have similar issues with caps and rotors?
These cars have more of a problem of eating distributors every so often, it can suck because theyre hard to find. My car keeps on eating batteries, im starting to think my cables are screwed.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:31:53 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »

The issue is with the ignitor in the distributor, not the cap/rotor. The ignitors are still available and can be replaced. Several other vehicles used the same part.

Cap/rotor are not a problem. My guess is faulty/cheap parts. I have had at least one cheap rotor come apart on me in the past.

The leaking gas tank is a common issue, the OE tanks used a poor brazing/solder process that left the region around the filler neck prone to corrosion. You can buy new replacement tanks to mitigate the issue.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

CavScout

• 91 Capri XR2, 87 Pontiac Fiero GT, 87 Toyota MR2
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »

The leaking gas tank is a common issue, the OE tanks used a poor brazing/solder process that left the region around the filler neck prone to corrosion. You can buy new replacement tanks to mitigate the issue.

I just got a new tank from eBay for about 120. Looked closely at the eBay ad, and the sellers shop was right near me so I was able to do transaction on the phone and picked it up a couple days layer and saved a few additional bucks. I haven't installed it yet, as it's only a problem if I fill the tank. (I simply haven't been topping it off LOL)