TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Is this Capri worth it?  (Read 2644 times)

Herbst

• 2007 Suzuki SV1000, 2002 Nissan Frontier
Is this Capri worth it?
« on: December 08, 2015, 11:10:27 PM »

I've been looking around for a cheap project car and was wondering if you guys thought this 1991 Mercury Capri XR2 was worth it.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/5311419869.html

blueamber

Re: Is this Capri worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 02:00:12 AM »

Why was the car parked in the first place?  Be ready for it not to be a 'cheap car' if the motor needs a rebuild or tranny is shot.  I have bought several non-op capris, and was never surprised, they all needed junking...

mikemounlio

• 15 bmw s1000rr audi tt ford festiva rock bouncer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »

Not at all. I just got my xr2 for 800$ and its a damn good car with 0 problems. Spend a bit more you will thank yourself in no time.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »

It sounds like he bought it as a parts car, hence too much $$$ to fix or its high mileage.

You're not too far from Knoxville, TN. There's a nice red XR2 reasonably priced on CL. There's also a low milage black 94 NA auto for $500 I'd like to get my hands on. It just needs a timing belt. I just need $$$, lol.
There's a cherry garage kept silver 91 XR2 in Nashville,TN with 56,000?. He's asking a high price. $3800. But if you figure parts and time you'll surpass $3800,

What ever you go after there are so many with less than a 100k on the odometer because for many these were summer cars. Find you a low mileage one. Try to find out if it has all the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump recently replaced to save some $$$. I think these have 60k head gaskets but can last to around 100k. So them questions come into play. A compression check prior to purchase is a wise idea. Look for clues for an overheat like has the radiator been changed. Factory had plastic tops and bottoms. Replacements the owner usually buys an all metal one.

Good luck finding the right one.