TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Help To Recenter Front End  (Read 4382 times)

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
Help To Recenter Front End
« on: October 28, 2015, 07:07:09 PM »

Hi I am new to the Forum my names Mike by the way I am a 19 year old college student, but i have a 1991 Capri N/a with 67k Miles on it. The car runs beautifully but the owner before me got in  a fender bender. It has light damage to the front. Basically the the black trim area on the bumper was hit and now its stuck under the other part of the trim. This has caused my indicators and Pop-Ups to be be a couple centimeters off. I don't have enough money for a new bumper, how would i go about fixing this and real-ling my car?
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

blueamber

Re: Help To Recenter Front End
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

Post some pics to be clearer on what you have... if your headlights were moved by the collision, a new bumper won't help...

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah28/michael_hall14/IMG_03281_zps2qbe6ymm.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah28/michael_hall14/IMG_03261_zps9dcfgbej.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah28/michael_hall14/IMG_03241_zpslp8ilaky.jpg
http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah28/michael_hall14/IMG_03251_zps44dcn4ib.jpg
These are the best pictures i could get of it. Its not a serious movement but I'm not a fan of the gaps. The worst gaps are i the Indicators and the right Pop Up. The Left Pop-Up moved forward and scraps on the hood.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:56:20 PM »

Go to this site where there is an online manual you can download the chapters.

Open the 1991 manual because it has the most info. They are all the same.

Download Group 47 which is the body chapter. Go to page 12 and you'll see how it's put together.

http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/

I never fooled with a Capri body but the metal mount under the bumper might be adjustable or shim out the plastic shell with washers. Most cars you have the ability to adjust the gap on your body lines. Briefly looking there looks like 3 nuts and two bolts on each side of the bumper. You might even shim the nut studs with washers.
Worst case scenario you might have to pull the impact point out a little. That would involve removing the bumper shell and get creative with a chain, a tree, and reverse, lol. Be gentle.

The headlights I know you can adjust. Open them up with that switch you never use and you'll see the screws on both sides of the housing.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »

Thanks for the help but now my problem is I broke one of the Side Bolts and the bottom bolt is in the wrong spot now because i accidentally twisted the plastic. Anyone know the size of the bolt or if i can get them at home depot. Also picked up some Aftermarket Foglights any tips on that. I Bought a Fog-light toggle switch too, but its not the stock one but should fit in the Switch cubby. Also is the stock cubby for the switch the one next to the Pop-up Light Switch that actually turn on the light, or the one that just pop-ups the light by the E-Brake? Any tips for the wiring would be much appreciated this is my first foray into working on my car, so any and all help would be amazing.

mitch1204

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:45:29 AM »

Sure you can find a bolt at Home Depot, Lowe's or even our Ace Hardware has a great bolt stock. It's a standard metric bolt. I'm not sure the size without crawling under there but you can easily match it up. Pick a grade 8 bolt as they're stronger.

The original fog light switch went beside the AC switch. The third hole was the rear defogger switch for the removeable hardtop. You can get the original switch from roo-sport.com or even look in our parts forum. There are two guys parting out their Capris that I know of. One of them might have it.

The fog light switch has two little wires that energizes a relay under the hood. The relay connects two bigger wires to power the fog lights. You'll learn big wire stuff it's not feasible to run the whole way inside a car to a super heavy duty switch. That's where relays come into play. Its like a small switch on the dash turning on a big switch under the hood. It also saves the manufacturers from running extra copper.

Your car is prewired for fog lights. You are just missing the switch, relay and lights.

Every aftermarket foglight kit I've dealt with come with a relay. Its law you have to wire it in so when you turn your high beams on the relay de-energizes turning the fog lights off. The foglights should come with directions how to wire it or you can probably find it on YouTube. But that's really not a big issue as you dim your headlights to oncoming traffic. You'd have to find the wrong prick cop to give you a ticket, lol. That and highbeams and fog lights on at the same time is a huge power demand on your alternator. Another good reason to have the fog lights shut off automatically.

Again your car is prewired properly so if you went with a stock switch and relay along with the stock wires hanging behind your bumper everything will work properly.

Relay 411... relays are pretty standard. You might find some with pins turned different ways so you buy theirs or it might have an extra pin to turn two things on. But for the most part they are all standard.

You'll see pin 30 which is your bigger wire going to the battery. Pin 85 goes to chassis ground. Pin 86 goes to your switch. That's the one that makes the relay click. Pin 87 goes to whatever you are turning on. In this case fog lights. Pin 87a is just an extra pin in case you want to turn two things on like 87 to left light and 87a to right light. Many relays have a diagram on them. You'll always see them pins 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:11:36 AM by mitch1204 »

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »

Okay so i bought a Foglight and Wiring kit. This came with the relay, and a switch. Unfortunately the switch wont fit in the cubby. Anyway I'm guessing what your saying is all i have to do is plug the lights into the Wire hanging down on the Leftside by where the foglight goes. From what i understand i dont have to wire anything but the relay but how do i do that? How do i pop out the False Face on the cubby? Sorry for asking so many questions. :/

mitch1204

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »

It's okay. Part of the forum is helping each other. I never took a blank out. I'd say it has a lip on top and bottom. Try pushing down and pulling out if you can get a screwdriver or knife behind. I'll go out in the morning and look.

Maybe Rocketman will chime in. He knows all about the Capri fog lights. I just know how they work. :)
Theroretically you should be able to use the existing wiring but it possibly means cutting the existing plugins off.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »

The OEM fog switch doesn’t go by the AC switch, it goes in between the dash dimmer and the headlight switch. This is also where the wiring for the switch is located too. This electrical plug has four wires: the black/red and the red/black wire will connect to your switch to turn the fog relay on. This plug also has a red/green and black wire for switch illumination.

The plug for the relay is in the engine bay behind the front driver side strut tower along the firewall. It has four wires: black/red and a black wire to energize the relay’s coil. The red/blue and the red wire connect to the relay’s N.O. switched contacts.
After that you can use the stock wire that’s behind each fog light opening.

I bought my fog light kit from Roo-Sports so I could get the OEM switch and relay. When I installed the switch I pulled the black trim off the dash and released the tabs on the blank plate from behind so I wouldn’t risk scuffing my interior trim.

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 10:29:31 PM »

Umm theres only one wire behind my Fog light covers. The Previous owner before the owner before me was a Mechanic, and i got a box full of parts. For all i know he dicked with it, and now i might not have the other one.  :-\