TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: WTB GOOD RAD  (Read 2226 times)

twopass

• 89 Festiva ,91 festiva ,92 capri NA,91 capri xr2
WTB GOOD RAD
« on: October 10, 2015, 04:46:31 AM »

I need a good cheap radiator, mine is split acros the top.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: WTB GOOD RAD
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »

If you want a used one look under our used parts forum. There's a couple guys parting out their Capri. Shipping might be a challenge but not impossible.
There are plenty of aftermarket ones. You are better off buying an all metal one. I bought a Spectra CU1628 off Amazon a couple years ago for $130. I see they are about $160 now.
$147 on RockAuto.
I seen an all aluminum one on Amazon for $78. The number of cores make a difference.

The old OEM radiators with the plastic tanks usually blow out the cork gasket seal. If you want to take the time and bend the metal tabs open you can repair the old one. That's if your plastic tank didn't crack. There's a chapter in the repair manual how to do it. You can buy sheet cork gasket material at many parts stores and make your own new gasket. I took my old one apart for the fun of it. It is possible but easier to buy one.

Also find out why she got hot. They just don't fail. Either your fan switch is bad or you have a coolant leak or something similar. On these engines if they get hot the head warps easily. Then you find yourself doing a head job and changing the timing belt and water pump while you're at it.

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »

Amen to what Mitch just said. All metal a must. Also I had to replace a coolant switch which caused a small coolant hose to burst a year ago in the winter. I just struggled to know I still needed it for 10 more days because temps remained sub zero the whole time.

I got my sensor for $29 delivered from RockAuto, of course.  ;)

I'd look locally too and price Advanced Auto with discount prices for ordering on line and picking up in store. Mitch showed us all some awesome discounts from them last month. I think you might try O'reilly's and Auto zone too and look up those discounts for online order to store.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »

I'd let mine go for $100 picked up.