TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: rear brake  (Read 4699 times)

Capritain

rear brake
« on: September 29, 2015, 12:29:02 AM »

Haven't drive my car for years. Drove it out the drive way today and only got little grip. Took a look noticed its smaller than the front and the pad is drown in the disc.
Thinking of replacing both rotor and pads. Anything I should watch out for working on them? Are they same as the front?
91 CAPRAI N/A 5-Speed
D-town, Iowa

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: rear brake
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:39:28 AM »

The rears are different from the front.  There are apparently two different sizes of rear pads.  One looks like go kart pads.  Not the ones I had.  I had to hammer the old ones off and also hammer the new ones on.  They seem to work okay although the e-brake doesn't work as well.  I've considered taking it down and filing on the pads a little to see if the clearance helps any.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Capritain

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »

what about the disc, is it hard to replace as the front?
91 CAPRAI N/A 5-Speed
D-town, Iowa

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »

Rear rotors are easy, unstake and remove the nut, remove the brake caliper, and off it comes.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »

Nah, it's not as bad as the front. You'll need new spindle nuts and if the wheel bearings haven't been touched in a long time then now is a good time to replace them. Make sure you pack them good with grease and use a new wheel seal with your new rotor. Grease the lip of the seal. Also with the brakes clean and grease the slides for smooth operation.
You'll see 4 mount bolts, two are for the emergency brake assembly. There is no need removing them, just the two for the caliper.

You can go to techcapri and download group 12 brakes for illustrations and instructions including the spindle nut torque.

mitch1204

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:14:18 PM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »

Nah, it's not as bad as the front. You'll need new spindle nuts and if the wheel bearings haven't been touched in a long time then now is a good time to replace them. Make sure you pack them good with grease and use a new wheel seal with your new rotor. Grease the lip of the seal. Also with the brakes clean and grease the slides for smooth operation.
You'll see 4 mount bolts, two are for the emergency brake assembly. There is no need removing them, just the two for the caliper.

You can go to techcapri and download group 12 brakes for illustrations and instructions including the spindle nut torque.

I had to remove the e-brake bracket to get the caliper bolt out.

Jack
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 07:18:57 PM »

I had to remove the e-brake bracket to get the caliper bolt out.

Jack

Maybe so, lol. The memory is going. I remember taking it all off and saying that was a wasted step. Maybe because I took it all apart I didn't see that. :)

I got new brakes. I'll find out in a few years, lol.