TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 91 front rotors  (Read 7079 times)

Merlin

• 91 Capri N/A, 93 XR2, 2018 Jeep Renegade
91 front rotors
« on: July 31, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

Before I get to my question, let me first say Thank you.  I have been reading this forum for a while before I finally joined, and the information here has proven to be invaluable.  You guys have helped save me money and time on a lot of my repairs and for that I thank you very much.

Now my question.  Did the 91 come in different rotor sizes?  I have replaced the front rotors on my car and ripped through a set of brake pads.  When I replaced the pads, I noticed that there is about a 1/2 inch of pad that is not making contact with the rotor.  There was a 1/2 inch of untouched pad towards the top.  My car came from the dealer with aftermarket 16 in Simmons rims, would the dealer have changed the rotor for the rims, or did the auto parts store sell me the wrong rotors?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: 91 front rotors
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

There are two different sized rotors available for the Capri, there’s a smaller 9.375 inch rotor and a larger 10.25 inch one.

You most likely just accidentally purchased the smaller rotors instead of the larger one.

Merlin

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »

Thank you for the reply.  Yes, I'm finding that our now, when I bought them I didn't think there would be two sizes for the same model car.  I should have noticed something wasn't right when I put everything back together and the rotor didn't reach the edge of the pad. It was a late night there might have been a few beers involved. Lol.

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »

Actually your rotors are correct, the n/a had smaller, the xrtwo bigger.  You bought the wrong pads, get the n/a size...

Merlin

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »

Blueamber thanks for the reply. I think I would rather go with a larger rotor than a smaller pad if the rotors are interchangeable.  Cost more but might be better in the long run.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 12:56:46 AM »

Actually your rotors are correct, the n/a had smaller, the xrtwo bigger.  You bought the wrong pads, get the n/a size...

You are correct about all XR2's having the larger rotors, but not all N/A's have smaller rotors.
My 91 N/A is a 5sp and it has the larger rotors.

The brake pads should be the same size for both models, they all use the same 319 type of pads in the front.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:05:35 AM by chrispoe »

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:35:39 AM »

I've driven n/a and xr2, but not hard enough to notice a difference in stopping with the bigger rotors.   Since the calipers are the same for xr2 and n/a, super easy for a previous owner to 'upgrade', I doubt the factory built them wrong.  Besides he's got brand new rotors, its probably what the car came with, cheap and easy to make sure the matching pads are on it...

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 04:11:07 AM »

Yes all of the calipers are the same and so are the pads, but the knuckles are not. The mounting ears on the knuckle where the caliper bolts onto come in two different lengths.
You cannot install a larger rotor onto the shorter eared knuckles that use the smaller rotor. If you try to, the throat of the caliper will bottom out on the outer edge of the rotor and you won't be able to bolt the caliper to the knuckle.
While you can install the smaller rotor onto the longer eared knuckles, the caliper piston and pad will overhang the edge of the rotor. Doing this will decrease the performance and lifespan of the pads.

I do know the original owner of my capri, he was the owner of the automotive repair shop I worked at as a kid. In fact, every brake job ever done to my car has been done by me..lol
I don't think the factory built them wrong either, but my N/A came equipped with the larger brakes from the factory and it sounds like the OP's capri did too.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:40:04 AM by chrispoe »

Merlin

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:11 PM »

I think I would have to agree with Mr. Poe. I also new the original owner of my car, I was there when she got it for Christmas.  It was a middle aged woman who used the car to drive to the train station for work and on weekends when it was sunny and clear. She did not do any mods or upgrades on it, just routine maintenance and I did a lot of that for her.  Mostly oil changes as the car only had 45,000 miles on it after 6 or 7 years of driving.  I never had this problem before I changed my rotors. When I search for pads for the N/A and the xr2 the part numbers are the same. I think it would be best to go to the bigger rotor. The pads I put on after changing the rotors only lasted about 6 or 7 months before the passenger side pad broke, and the braking as it is now is not very good.

blueamber

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

Just know that those pads you see advertised with the same part numbers for xr2 and n/a are referring to the rear pads, only 1 rear rotor size for all Capris.  Front pads are definitely different sizes for the 2 front rotor sizes.

If you are sure that the car had bigger rotors before (and will fit your knuckles per 'chrispoe's size comment), and if your budget and time allow for throwing those rotors away and putting on new ones, have at it.

I keep 4 Capris on the road, so I sometimes look to thrifty solutions, rather than the most correct...

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:35 AM »

Be weary of Wearever Silver pads. I bought a set because they were on sale. They were a hair wider than OEM. I had to take a flat file to them to get them to fit the caliper. I would've took them back but they sat on my shelf for a year. Next time I'll try a different brand.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 07:52:58 PM »

BlueAmber, could you provide the part number of these “smaller pads” you’ve found for N/A’s. Because roo-sports, advanced auto, auto zone, napa, and rockauto all show the front pads to be the same. The rear pads are the same for both models too. 

As you can see Merlin that having the wrong size rotors makes a big difference and I would definitely install the proper sized rotors. Brakes are a safety item and not something to be cheaped out and half-assed cuz they don’t just affect you, but everyone else around you too.

blueamber

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 03:41:36 AM »

This whole discussion is so odd... the reason for having bigger front rotors is for better stopping power...but if the pads are the same size for both rotor sizes, then the larger diameter rotor doesn't buy you anything, right?

I have only one experience with purchasing n/a pads, that was my first Capri, a 93n/a 5 speed.  I found too big pads on the front, with the split wear pattern indicating too big pads for the rotor.  I purchased correct pads, maybe 10 years ago, that were definitely  smaller. 

I see where now all the major brands selling front pads in the US sell them as interchangeable for n/a and xr2.  Search Australia and they sell sizes to fit the turbo and non-turbo.

I'm not sure where this goes... someone needs to chime in to explain why only one size pad is available in the US...

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »

This whole discussion is so odd... the reason for having bigger front rotors is for better stopping power...but if the pads are the same size for both rotor sizes, then the larger diameter rotor doesn't buy you anything, right?

The size of a the brake pad only affects the longevity of the pad (more material)and it’s resistance to brake fade(more surface area to disperse heat).
The amount of stopping power is determined by the amount of force applied and the distance the caliper is located from the center of the hub.
The capri’s that have larger rotors also have different knuckles with longer mounting ears for the calipers. The longer mounting ears move the caliper further from the center of the hub which creates more leverage to stop the car faster. The capri’s equipped with larger rotors produce about  10% more braking force then the smaller ones.

I'm not sure where this goes... someone needs to chime in to explain why only one size pad is available in the US...

Only one size pad is required because the caliper is the same and the longer mounting ears move the caliper out further to accommodate the larger rotor.
If you compare the smaller rotor side-by-side with the larger one, you will see the width of machined outer ring for the pad from the outer edge is the same. The larger rotors just have an additional half inch gap between the hub mounting and the machined outer ring to make them larger in diameter.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:13:36 AM by chrispoe »

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 09:07:32 PM »

Even if the pads are the same a larger rotor turns a little slower on the outer edge. It's easier to stop a larger diameter. Kind of like gear ratios. That and heat is disbursed across a larger surface. Bigger pads would be ideal but in this case I would go with a better quality pad. I think the rear discs make up for the front design. Just think if it had rear drums. The car is so light the brakes are sufficient to me. But I'm happy with 100 hp OEM, lol.
Pages: [1] 2