TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Timing Belt Replacement  (Read 2498 times)

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
Timing Belt Replacement
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:31:26 PM »

I just have a questions about the replacement of the timing belt.
  I bought a 1991 Capri XR2 with turbo and 5 speed. It had 116,000 miles on it and it never had the timing belt replaced. I found a garage near me that said they could replace it. I took it in and had  them replace the timing belt, water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, springs, and antifreeze, and gaskets. They also replaced the VC gasket. Took only one day. So I picked it up and have been driving it on and off when the weather is nice. If you rev up the engine, it makes a "whirring" sound. Even when you start out in 1st & between gears. Its got to be coming from the belt. Its that normal? It runs good and it didn't make that sound before I had the Timing belt replaced.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Timing Belt Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 11:03:24 PM »

Them 3 piece timing belt covers have to be in good condition and installed just right. Sometimes it's hard to do with a messed up rubber gasket that runs in between the pieces. Sometimes old covers warp and buckle. That all said you might be hearing one of the timing gears rub the cover. Not a major deal other than it will score the cover or rub a round hole in part of it. Eventually it will finish its rubbing and the noise quit. When I did my timing belt I had to patch the cover from a previous rub and it was tricky to get the old gasket to work. But it told me someone has been in there before.

Other thoughts is did he set the proper tension on the belt? The belt might be breaking in to the old gears?

The tensioner pulley and many of these new parts have been sitting on a warehouse shelf for many years. It's possible the lubrication broke down or it just needs a break in period.

I would bring it to the mechanic's attention and see what he has to say. That way if something related happens he knows he messed up.