TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: 91 n/a hydraulic clutch pedal issue, no pedal  (Read 3543 times)

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
91 n/a hydraulic clutch pedal issue, no pedal
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:22:36 PM »

When I push the clutch it goes to the floor and does nothing. I tried bleeding it and I'm going to go try adjusting the pedal length to see if a little more travel would help but I doubt that's the problem. It's been progressively getting worse until now when it doesn't work at all. I could feel the clutch pedal feel slowly get worse and worse as time went on.

I'm wondering if its the seals inside of the master cylinder itself as the fluid level doesn't go down nor are their any visible leaks. Any ideas on what it could be?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 91 n/a hydraulic clutch pedal issue, no pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »

If there's  no visible leaks then it could be the slave cylinder. Did you check the inside of the firewall? I have seen them leak around the input shaft, leaking onto the carpet inside.

Did you just replace the slave cylinder? If not it may be worth replacing both at the same time. And flush the line in between
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

supercowmoo3

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »

I'm going to call a couple parts stores and see if they have the master along with the slave cylinder and lines as one unit. Thats how alot of them come now anyways. I didn't find any leaks or air in the system and itd be nice to have a new clutch pedal anyways. The one that's on it might have been pushed around 10,000 times now and that little rubber seal is just worn out. If they have a rebuild kit for considerably cheaper I'll go with that.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:46:37 PM »

I think the line is NLA, but you can try.

The parts are dirt cheap on RockAuto.com if you can wait for shipping. Probably considerably more expensive in-store.

I wouldn't bother with the repair kit with as cheap as the parts are
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »

I ordered a carb for another vehicle last Friday night  from RockAuto. Received it Wednesday. That was pretty decent. Don't forget the 5% discount code in another thread.

I was shocked when I ordered a fuel line from Summit Racing at the same time. I received it Monday. That was super quick.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

When the seals in the slave cylinder go bad, it leaks. When the seal in the master cylinder go bad, the pedal just goes to the floor and does nothing.

supercowmoo3

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »

Turns out the bleeder taper was rusty and wouldn't seal. It didn't really apear to be leaking fluid but it was letting air in the system. I replaced the slave cylinder and I could bleed the air out fine now