TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Should I buy?  (Read 4555 times)

li-bri

• Not a Capri, yet.
Should I buy?
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:51:59 AM »

1991 N/A Capri, Auto, has HT, 49k original miles, battery light is on, says it needs an alternator, ~$1400.  Red w/black int. Good deal? OK as a daily driver for the summer?

Thoughts? Would be my first Capri.

-Brian

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:39:36 AM »

Welcome, seems like a good deal.  What condition is the soft-top in?  Might be better to have the alternator rebuilt if you can.  Aftermarket ones can be a problem and regularly have an incorrect pulley which causes belt problems.  It is a very fun car, economical and based on a Mazda 323, so parts aren't that big a problem.  I have an XR2 that came from Long Island, it was a nice trip back to NC

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

li-bri

• Not a Capri, yet.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »

Thanks, Jack.

He says the soft-top has a little life left but says it leaks a little so it'll have to replaced soon. The car does come w/a hard-top too.  He has the original wheels and tires too.

I would attach some pics but I cannot see how to that here.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:31:19 AM »

These cars commonly leak at the front corners unfortunately.  There are adjustments that can be made.  My '91 XR2 had the original top on it last year when I bought it.  There was a rip over the passenger about 4 inches long and one near the base on the passenger side about 9 inches long and didn't leak.....lol  3M makes a weatherstrip conditioner available on Amazon which seems to soften it and make the weatherstrip work better.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »

Make sure the battery light does not mean the alt belt is missing, it drives the water pump also, so danger of past overheating if missing??  49k miles with a had top is a plus, auto trans are a little weak, agree to getting the alt rebuilt if that is the issue, or get a used one... these are fun cars when they are working...