TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No spark from coil  (Read 17645 times)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: No spark from coil
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »

I do remember reading about the ECM being able to change the ignition timing too, but for the life of me I could never figure out how. So earlier this week I got in touch with a friend from college that shared the same electrical engineering classes as me.  He currently works at Wells Electronics, so I asked him if he could look up some info on the Wells part # 6H1187 (The N/A ICM). 
What I found out is that the green/yellow wire that goes to the ICM (the small plug with only one wire) is not an enable/disable. Instead when power is applied it activates the pick-up unit connected to the ICM and shifts the ICM’s pick-up point, which causes the base timing to advance 2 degrees. The ECM only does this when the barometric sensor reads low ( car’s 1000m above sea level or perhaps drove into a tornado..lol).
The N/A’s timing during regular operation is still all mechanical.

I agree that having a gear puller to remove the armature would have been ideal, but I was stuck in a Shopko parking lot 80 miles from home when my ICM failed. I was able to get the armature off with a screwdriver, but I destroyed the pick-up unit in the progress. I figured $20 for a pick-up unit was a lot cheaper and faster than an 80 mile tow... ;D.

The lesson I learned from that was don’t install a MSD Blaster coil and try to drive it off the stock ICM. I found out just 4 days after installation that the power requirements for it overloaded my ICM and burned it out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:25:31 PM by chrispoe »

ChazMelton

• 1991 Capri N/A
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »

ok, so I replaced the ignition control module, battery, coil, and ignition relay. I am still not starting, and I am not getting spark from the coil.. I stuck a screw driver in the wire to the distributor and touched it with my hand while someone cranked the car and did not get lit up.. so no spark. Please someone help me! What else could it be? I am not getting any tach bounce while I attempt to turn it over.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »

Which ignition module did you change out? The external one, or the internal?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 10:32:11 PM »

Have you checked the timing belt yet?

Goat

• Frankinstein 2.3T mustang 73 F100 91 Xr2
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »

I have a 91 xr2, next to the main wiring connector in the engine bay there is a blk/white wire with a connector that reduces the gauge of the blk/w wire. Can someone tell me where it goes? It broke off and she will not wire.
Pages: 1 [2]