TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Headlight motor removal...  (Read 2059 times)

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
Headlight motor removal...
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:28:03 PM »

I know this has been beaten to death, but I've read through the how-to bits and looked at existing threads and back at my car and I can't figure out how you guys are so easily removing these darn things. I got to the point where 'remove bolts securing headlight assembly to body' and while two of those bolts are super accessible right on top and one is pretty easily accessible in the spot where the windshield washer fluid bottle was, there's a fourth bolt that's jammed up against the power steering and A/C bits. I stared at it for a good fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to wedge a wrench or socket in there to no avail. It doesn't look like the hole in the body is big enough to let the motor come out through the back, either, so I don't see any way to do this that doesn't involve removing that one pesky bolt.

Am I missing something super obvious here or do I really have to dismantle the accessory system to get this motor out and cleaned? Pictures greatly appreciated, I'd love to have a passenger-side headlight that actually raises and lowers properly like it did before two power steering pumps seized and mucked everything on that side of the car up...

blueamber

Re: Headlight motor removal...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »

Yes the 4th bolt on each side is a bit of a challenge.  I think I used a ratchet closed end wrench with an elbow at the end.  Lots of cables in the way on the driver side, just get everything pushed aside enough for the wrench, the passenger is visible with little room but doable with the right wrench...