TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: my 91 capri so far  (Read 21056 times)

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
Re: my 91 capri so far
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »

oh and the black rockers are because of how we had welded the bottoms of the fenders with new bits and used a little bondo to smooth out the surface. Since we didnt have the matching paint we went with primer and black rustoleum after me and my girlfriend sanded the rust off the rockers lol. turned out better looking than i thought it would but its still not my favorite thing in the world. i have been considering going to the top of the trim with black plastidip all around the car as the clear on the bumper covers is cracked and peeling anyways it would make it look alot nicer if those were smoothed out and dipped. I have considered doing the whole car too so we'll see what happens with that. I do like the stock red though lol.

One more thing, has anyone riced out one of these before? Stuff like big rediculous alluminum wings and body kits? i would love to put an 80 dollar 55 inch black alumiunum wing on it and maybe try my hand at fibreglass and make up a body kit primarily to piss off everyone at my auto tech school and to have a unique car that no one else has. Also i kind of want to make a car that just doesnt give a fuck. Kind of like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmD5QZc2Xt8 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ZQQirT78Q

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 12:07:53 AM »

thank you for the really useful info! ill check on diyautotune and see whats involved in doing so. I was hoping to do a mild cam in my capri and see what kind of gains with it n/a i can get out of it before ultimately going turbo down the line. Also with only one o2 sensor to worry about i can make up headers and a full 2.5" exhaust. ill just cut out the threaded bit for the o2 sensor as im sure i dont have a tap for that and weld it on my down pipe. The cars not going to be used in  the winter either so ill just use regular steel and maybe get the header power coated. Thank you guys so much

1. You can buy new O2 bungs to weld in. Do not put the O2 in the downpipe, it should be up closer to the engine. The exhuast gasses are too cold in the dowpipe, and unless you convert to a heated O2 sensor it will cause problems

2. Powdercoating does not work on exhaust items, they get too hot. Ceramic coat maybe

3. Its your car, but a giant spoiler is really just awful man. Don't ruin it. Yes people have done it. Its gaudy
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Jim Simms

• 1991 XR2 Cardinal Red, great body, needs paint
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 02:21:24 AM »

That is a very nice looking car.
You are certainly at the right place, here at this forum. Everyone's experience and feedback is important.
Your family must know that there are a lot worse places you can spend your time and money than on your Capri.

supercowmoo3

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »

You're probably right about the spoiler lol. Also I'll put the o2 sensor right after the header then probably where the individual tubes all meet.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 05:15:17 PM »

You're probably right about the spoiler lol. Also I'll put the o2 sensor right after the header then probably where the individual tubes all meet.
Still too far. Run a google search of how to add a heated O2 sensor. It requires an extra relay to drive the heating circuit, not terribly difficult.

supercowmoo3

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »

Alright thanks for the feedback rocket. I'm also considering doing some custom fabrication this summer to my capri so that it can accept a rotary 1.1L mazda engine and possibly a rear wheel drive tran. I've been watching that mini build you had posted about, project binky, and it's given me some ideas of how to accomplish this. Ill probably end up moving the fuel tank in the boot though which isn't the safest thing to do but because race car. Also I'd tune the carb (this is an older engine out of an 80s rx7 which was crashed and wrecked long before I was born. It was my mom's car. So please no hate for not trying to resto the classic I would if I had it.) to run pure ethanol and Mark the fuel adjuster at 100% ethanol and at regular pump gas so I can run either one with the turn of an adjustment screw on the car as you would need more fuel to make the same power burning ethanol as you do burning gasoline.

The great thing about a rotary is theyre compact and small. If it will though I will attempt to mate it to the transmission thats already in my car. I doubt it would though but I will try it lol. Imagine a fwd rotary lol just sounds rediculous. Rwd would be more fun anyways but alot of custom fabrication work like cutting out and welding in a larger tunnel in the capri to accomodate for the driveshaft and reinforcing the rear to hold the differential. Im thinking using a subaru rear diff as they're compact enough and I believe the shafts that come off of it are cv joints and not solid shafts so I can have true independent rear suspension. I would have to cut up the drive shafts to fit or space the wheels in or out whichever is necessary. I also have the transmission that would be used with the rotory engine so I can use it if I do end up going rwd. It's going to be one he'll of a project if I do end up doing it and I'm gunna have to make up a new wiring harness for the rotory but since it's carburated Its not that big of a deal.

Also I do know that going from efi to a carb is technically against emmissions and would fail inspection but I'm not too worried about that

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »

The 12A engine or any other rotory for that matter won't bolt up to capri's tranny.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2015, 02:21:29 AM »

As Chrispoe said, it will not bolt up to the stock transmission. I have seen them bolted to other FWD transmissions with adapter plates, but it's a tough engine to work with for numerous engines. Finding a clutch combo that works is tough

A RWD capri is going to handle like crap, just FYI. The chassis isn't made for it. I think you need to buy a cheap Miata, its' already RWD and has most of what you are looking for. The various Wankel rotary engines have been done in them before, as well as smallblock V8s of both Chevy and Ford breeds have been swapped in too. there's even bolt-in kits available if you have the bank $$ I've also seen them with Toyota and BMW powerplants and I'm sure many engines have been swapped too. Even an eco-modder put a 1.3L festiva engine in his MX5

supercowmoo3

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:35 AM »

I like the mx5 but I like the capri too, probably better as its something a bit more special to me. I'll do my best at reinforcing the chassis when I do this to make sure itll work and work well. Thank you for the tips though they're very useful

supercowmoo3

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 06:41:19 PM »

i finished installing my new convertible top :)

supercowmoo3

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 06:42:08 PM »

supercowmoo3

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »

supercowmoo3

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »

i think it turned out pretty good. The sun should take care of the little wrinkles and i still need to wash it and apply vinyl protector and wash and wax my car although i have though of plasti dipping the whole thing

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »

Not bad.  Mine didn't fit quite that well.  It's a little short across the top.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »

Top looks pretty good ! Where'd you get it ? Pain to put on ??
Pages: 1 [2] 3