TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Steering Rack  (Read 28312 times)

Johnno

• 1992 XR2
Steering Rack
« on: April 13, 2015, 08:22:20 PM »

Hi
Has any experienced a clunking sound by just rocking steering wheel very slightly back and forth.
Have checked uni joints at bottom of steering shaft they are fine. I believe its in the rack probably the nylon yoke behind the pinion needs adjusting. It does this no matter what position the rack is. This a common problem with Mazda 323 and a derirrtive  of the Mazda ford laser. Does anyone have experience with this or can you suggest anything else.
Greetings to all from Johnno in Australia.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: Steering Rack
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »

None of the manuals for the 323 or the capri that I've gone through show how to adjust the preload on the rack and pinion. The manuals just told me how much slop was considered acceptable in the steering wheel. Mine was within spec, but it still has that annoying clunk when I rock the steering wheel too and it's been doing for the last 40K miles.

Has anyone tried adjusting the preload to reduce the backlash and how was the outcome?

Johnno

• 1992 XR2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 05:59:34 AM »

Appreciate the reply buddy. When I do it I'll let you know how it went.
Johnno in Aus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 05:02:49 AM »

I've never messed too much with the steering rack. I have one from a rusted out 94 XR2 (tighter ratio) that I'd like to eventually put into the GTXR2.

I believe the 91-93 units are available rebuilt, and usually come with new inner tie rods. Might it be worth trading the original one in for a rebuilt unit?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:52 AM »

When I pull the engine and tranny out, I'm going to adjust the preload. I just wish I knew what the proper tension should be. I don't think spending $250 just for a rebuilt unit just to get rid of an annoying clunk that only occurs when the car is moving less then 5 miles an hour is worth it.  The only way I could justify spending that much on this car is if it was an upgrade.
I know the 91-93's had a 17.6 ratio, does anybody know what the 94 xr2's had?

JJ

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »

If it's not in the factory service manual, it may be in the specifications manual (the smaller paperback ones). I have one of those.. if you tell me exactly what to search for, perhaps I have that value. but, my book may only be 91. possibly have a 94 something or another I got by mistake....

JJ

JJ

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »

Nope. dug out my books. hardly any info about the Capri. Wonder if b/c it was built in Australia.... :(

JJ

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:55 PM »

The only adjustment specs I was able to find was for the manual racks on 86-89 323's.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »

Bump for Jesus.

Did anybody do this yet? I've got the same issue and I'd like to know how it went...