TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Ebay rotors!  (Read 4420 times)

greatwhitebuffalo

• 92 base
Ebay rotors!
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum but not new to working on cars.
I bought some ebay rotors and I know you have to be very careful buying cheap replacement parts for the mechanisms that stop your car. ive put these on my truck and on my honda and on a camry with no problem, 3 years with no issue.

but wait if there was no issue why would i post it... there's an issue

1st.
The rear rotors were very different from each other, one had a smooth "hub" surface and one had the cut outs, which is fine i thought.

2nd.
The inside tracks and divits and are very different, one is deep and the other shallow, one was closer to the edge than the other. differing pits and lands threw me for a loop, this cant be right.

3rd.
The front rotors are the same shape and size but one already had rusted flaky pitted surfaces, which i understand "its your brakes, they are gonna get wet/salted/scraped ect. but out of the box to be like that? really? they where supposed to have a protective zinc spray coating.

not sure how to post pictures
but as soon as i figure it out ill post them.

greatwhitebuffalo

• 92 base
Re: Ebay rotors!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »

They found a use for fool's gold. :)
I've had my share of eBay experiences. Stick with a brand you can trust.
I bought a cheap injector rebuild kit. I kept blowing o-rings. I finally broke down and bought a Felpro engine gasket set and used the o-rings out of it. Fixed that problem but the Chinese kit is now leaking internally. I'm just going to buy new injectors next month. Not from eBay either. : )

Try selling on there. Its even worse. Between them and PayPal they get you for 12%. That's with free listings too, lol. So the regulars sell cheaply cheap stuff or they stick it to you on the good stuff. Good deals are hard to find.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »

I need to find a pair of rear rotors with the flat hub similar to the one on the bottom right. The flat hub could easily drilled out to a 5x114 lug pattern.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »

I drilled out a set of drums for one of the Festiva guys for a different bolt pattern. I made a drilling jig on the CNC.
Was not a hole lot of fun.

Personally I'd stay away from the eBay rotors if they are drilled & slotted. Especially the drilled rotors. They crack from stress because theyre not done properly, and are completely useless on a street car that uses any sort of stock brake pad. Racecar with racing compound pads that need to stay really hot, thats a different story.

TLDR; return them and go for some stock rotors

I have stock rotors on both my red XR2 and stock style rotors (even on the Galant BB upgrade) on my GTXR2
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »

I drill rotors and hubs with a drill press and a manual hand crank rotary indexer with a chuck. It’s fairly easy and relatively quick despite having to crank the handle 180 times to rotate 360 degrees.
I totally agree with Rocketman too about drilled and slotted rotors, I think the trade off of their lower reliability vs the slight performance upgrade, if any, is not worth it.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:40 PM »

That's one thing I don't have for my mill that bugs me, is a rotary table. That sure would make things a lot easier. hah
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"