TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Adjusting doors  (Read 4817 times)

JJ

Adjusting doors
« on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »

Anyone know how to adjust the doors? it's almost as if the door has fallen slightly. a normal shut hangs a bit and it doesn't always shut until you redo a bit harder. Is it just a bad hinge or something, or is there a way to adjust the door up a few mm to make it close better? i would think the striker/catch could go up/down, but i doubt that raised on its own...

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Adjusting doors
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »

The plastic levers on the doors are prone to breaking. The plastic gets old and brittle. Yours might be in the process of breaking.

I inspected mine a couple days ago and greased them with lithium grease. You access the levers by removing the carpet panels on both sides of the console.

The temperature cable is on the left side. To adjust it loosen the screw that holds the cable. Place the temp control all the way to max cold. Then push all the way down on the lever on the side of your door box. Tighten the cable back down.

The function selector is on the right side. It's done the same way. Loosen cable at the box. Put selector all the way over on defrost. Back at the cable push all the way down on the lever and tighten your screw back up. There's a function selector rod also hooked to that lever. You shouldn't have to adjust it.

The fresh air... recirculation is also on the right side. Selector all the way on fresh air loosen your cable and push the lever all the way forward away from your cable until it stops. Tighten your cable back down.

Give all them plastic pieces some lithium grease.

JJ

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »

excellent advice. but i was talking about the car doors. the big ones you shut to keep from falling out. :)

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »

I think Mitch is on auto-reply...LOL...

Try lifting the door and observe the top hinge (or get someone else to), hinge is bad if you see slop in the hinge.
Yes, you can adjust the door by loosening the hinge bolts and moving it into position.  Grease it up and it will last for awhile.  Oh yeah, grease your other hinges also...

There once was a time when you could leave your car at the local gas station and they would do a lube job, putting grease into everything on the car that could use it.  Right around the corner, very handy, the guy would even pump gas into your car and clean the windshield...

mitch1204

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:56:33 AM »

Lol, we had many recent threads on the climate control doors I ASSumed that's what you were talking about. Let me turn that auto reply off.

mitch1204

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 04:33:41 AM »

The hinges basically control the surface alignment with the rest of the car. It should be flush and about a 1/4" gap all the way around. The striker is only adjusted horizontally to have even tightness on the weatherstripping.

You can play with the hinges but it will probably mess up your perimeter alignment. The bolts do move up and down and you can put shims behind the hinges.

It sounds like you are suffering door sag. That happens usually when the pin on the hinge or the hole the pin rides in wears out, usually egg shaped. The couple remedies is to replace the hinge or they do have aftermarket pins that are oversized and you drill their hole a little bigger. I don't know if they make them for this particular car. But you can go to a place like Advance or AutoZone and they have a Help aisle with weird parts like that. I think at Advance the packaging is called HELP. They use to be red packages. They had pins for old Ford/GM/Chrysler cars. Camaros and Firebirds were extremely bad for door sag. I replaced a many of them pins.

Make sure the door latch is functioning properly too. It might need some grease.

With a little ingenuity you can probably make one of them replacement pins work.

A wild thought, them pins are hollow on a Capri. Maybe some kind of round wedge driven inside the pin to help expand it? A screw?

There is always Roo-sport. :)

mitch1204

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:19:05 AM »

This is what I was talking about. Maybe cut the pin to length, toss the bushing and drill the hole the same size as the pin. Lubricate it, Drive her home and you're done. :)

Since they don't make one for a Capri I randomly pulled up one for a' 79 Mustang. It's twice as wide and would outlast you and me. Put on your MacGyver hat, lol.

Part #38395 Dorman Help @  O'Reilly's AP.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:32:14 AM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »

More education for future reference.  Who would have thought they'd still be bolting hinges on?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

JJ

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 03:39:07 PM »

seems there are two. my bottom one is painted red to match, looks original. the top one is silver, looks to have been added on. so apparently someone tried to fix once. door doesn't seem to move up/down at all when open, but I didn't really try very hard... more investigation later

blueamber

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 03:44:10 PM »

The bolts may not have been torqued in enough and the door slipped down a bit... loosen, put a jack under the door to raise it up, retorque and check alignment.  I had to replace the door on my wife's 99 camaro, big as a barn door and heavy, took several tries before things lined up right...

JJ

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »

I haven't looked super hard, but what I looked at did seem even all around. as I said, if it's off, it's not by much. I just think it shuts a bit harder than it should have to.

mitch1204

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »

Maybe it's just the latch is hanging. Manually trip it and see if it hangs. It might need some grease.

These doors are little and shouldn't sag. Maybe a rural mailman or drug dealer owned it before you, lol.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »

I have a similar problem with my doors too, when I close them you can feel them lift up slightly just as they latch. The problem goes away when I have the front end of the car on jackstands.
In my situation, it seems the problem is not the doors themselves sagging, but possibly the frame of the car is drooping in the middle.

JJ

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »

In my situation, it seems the problem is not the doors themselves sagging, but possibly the frame of the car is drooping in the middle.

definitely not cool if that's really the case! lol

mitch1204

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:58 AM »

Reading the manual this car has all kinds of under body adjustments. Something could be loose? You need a good tape measurer, assistant and a day to waste when you start trying to figure that stuff out, lol. They have diagrams measuring diagonals and other weird Aussie engineering. :)