TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: WTB (or make) spare tire foam spacer  (Read 5062 times)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
WTB (or make) spare tire foam spacer
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »

I didn't realize I was missing the cylindrical foam spacer that sits on top of the spare tire until I looked in the trunk of another Capri.  Does anyone have one to sell or has anyone made one fit?  I don't know if Home Depot or a hardware store sells foam blocks that could be cut to size.  Any ideas?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: WTB (or make) spare tire foam spacer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:31:36 AM »

I don't even have a trunk floor insert so this foam thing sounds very interesting.  Would appreciate pics if anyone has them.

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »

Sits on top of donut spare tire to help support the compartment lid.  This one is from a leaky trunk

JJ

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »

lol i always wondered about that. on Capri-I, it was under the tire, so I thought it just stopped it from moving around, rattling, etc... capri-II had one on top, none underneath. seemed a better idea as it held up the floor better... but seemed thinner, so I thought there were two... I guess not.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »

Makes a good Frisbee. I don't think mine has one? I put my 4 way lug wrench on top my tire to help hold the floor deck up.

There's a new trick to this car everyday. What's next? 😊

JJ

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:01:47 PM »

If you're really interested, I can measure the diameter and thickness. The foam is rather dense. I haven't seen anything you can buy readily (such as foam at craft stores, etc) that dense, and their densest would probably work but won't be quite as strong... may have to go extra on the thickness to make up for it...? lol

but then again, mine was under the tire for 10 years, which was pretty much like not having it there.... :) ymmv

JJ

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:28:24 AM »

Wow, that is a chunk of foam.  My car has a full size spare and there wouldn't be room for anything like that.  Just out of curiosity, how big is that thing?  There is a  local place that makes foam(also insulation for the space shuttle), but they don't regularly make high density foam like that, just mattress/car seat kinda stuff.  I think what you'd want would be close cell foam.  It is usually very firm and wouldn't absorb water.  It that block is as thick as it looks, I can see making a tool box(like German cars) with foam on top and bottom, little water fall emblem in the center.  That would be kewl.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 08:29:27 AM »

Try checking an outfit called McMaster-Carr.  They usually have anything industrial you could want.

Jack
Jack Byrd

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:48:53 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  One of the projects I did this summer was a replacement of the trunk floor.  The original had gotten wet sometime in the past and was sagging big time in the middle (now I know why - no spacer to hold it up).   I bought thin plywood from HD, traced the original, marked and drilled all the holes, painted it, and used small screws/washers/nuts to attach the spare tire hardware and hinges.  It never dawned on me that there was foam to hold up the middle until I looked in the trunk of another Capri.

I will get a measurement and post it here.  I will also look at McMaster-Carr and Grainger and see what I can find.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 01:18:02 AM »

I like that idea. I think I'd rather have AC plywood or maybe luan. When mine got wet I took it out and flipped it upside down and put weights on it until it dried. It worked somewhat. I was going to strengthen it out with a 2x2 or so width wise. It could rest on the spare.
But partical board is what it is. Terrible for any situation susceptible to moisture.

I think we need new trunk gaskets.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:25:26 AM by mitch1204 »

JJ

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »

My car has a full size spare and there wouldn't be room for anything like that.

Jack Byrd

I was going to take a tire off of the other capri and use as a full spare too, since I like the idea... Until I realized my tires are directional, and the spare would work best only on one side of the car, and I don't wanna carry two. :) Are you just ignoring that fact, or did you install a special non-directional tire?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:37:16 AM »

I was going to take a tire off of the other capri and use as a full spare too, since I like the idea... Until I realized my tires are directional, and the spare would work best only on one side of the car, and I don't wanna carry two. :) Are you just ignoring that fact, or did you install a special non-directional tire?
[/quote]

Yes, all season, non-directional tires.

Jack
Jack Byrd

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »

Update - the size is 12.5" diameter, 3" tall.  I purchased a 12" square piece of foam and it fits perfectly, $10 delivered to my house.  Here's where I bought it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251323892749_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT