TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Rock Auto Convertible Top?  (Read 3832 times)

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
Rock Auto Convertible Top?
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

Does anyone know if and how well this fits? also is it just the rag or the assembly as well? or am i better off with the roo sport top
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1196636,parttype,1000150

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Rock Auto Convertible Top?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »

Not a bad price. I think I bought mine from topsonline for a little over $200. It was made by EZ On Auto Tops with Hartz vinyl.

If I were you I would buy the side and rear cables for it. I thought mine were in good shape but when I went to adjust the nut on one cable it was frozen and snapped. Its good to have them the first time.

Also look at TechCapri and he has a TSB download which covers a couple factory fixes for the top.

Also everyone tries to sell that HH67 vinyl glue or some name close. I asked why topsonline didn't sell it and he said it was junk that it is a vinyl glue but the tops have a cloth backing. He told me to go to Ace Hardware and buy some DAP Wedgwood contact cement. I found it at Wal-Mart so I bought it there. He all his installers use it. I had no problems. Smooth transaction.

'Some one posted in another forum a 20% discount code at Rock Auto. I'll see if I can find it.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Rock Auto Convertible Top?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »

I also bought a Cabrio vinyl top from topsonline.com on eBay with cables and glue for a little more.  The glue supplied was contact cement like the DAP and worked very well.  My only problem with the top is you get what you pay for.  It is, and looks cheap.  It does keep the weather out though.  If or when I ever it to do over again, I think I'll be going with the Hartz cloth top. 

The cables don't come with nuts, and they are special nuts.  Regular nuts will work, but not very well.

I started a Rock Auto discount thread here, hope it catches on.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd