General > Build Threads

Initial planning for my XR2 project (9/26/2020 update)

(1/2) > >>

ShelbyZ:
Picked up a non-running '94 XR2 project back in September. If you missed it, here is an introductory thread I made in the General section: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,3219.0.html

My goals for the car are as follows:

1. Fix current mechanical issues.

-Bought the car with a blown headgasket, which the previous owner tried to remedy with some of that metallicy stop leak crap, which ultimately sprayed out of the waterpump seal. I'm guessing the bottom end is fine, but will have the head checked and decked if needed. Once good, I'll secure everything with ARP head studs, then add a new waterpump and timing belt etc.

-I'm guessing the PO's cooling issues started with a radiator fan that quit working. There's a whole rats nest of cut and spliced wires at the front drivers side of the engine bay, and the fan was ultimately wired directly to the battery... My plan is to graft in an eBay dual core Honda Civic radiator, with a slim line fan wired to an independent fan controller.

-The shifter is horribly sloppy, so I'm going to toss in some of those Corksport "Bronzoil" bushings.

-The most likely original VJ14 is completely seized, which im guessing probably came from coolant being present in the oil after the HG went. I'm assuming that due to the seizure, if possible a rebuild will likely call for more than just a rebuild kit. However, I haven't been able to find anywhere where replacement RHB5 turbines and/or compressors can be realistically or affordably purchased. I also don't want to go on a wild goose chase and shell out money for a used VJ14, since I will eventually be upgrading. I have a buddy who has a whole bunch of stuff laying around from his days of being into F2T cars, including a bunch of VJ11's and a T-bird/11 hybrid, but I don't want to go that route. My plan here leads me to...

2. Make an impressive HP/ET gain while spending as little money as possible.

-As stated in my other thread, I also own an AWD 1G DSM. I've been modding and repairing those cars for almost 12 years now, and have compliled a mass collection of used parts for them almost worthy of getting me an appearance on the show "Hoarders". Combined with the obvious need for some manageable fabrication, I'd like to re-purpose whatever I can from that collection to make upgrades to the Capri. I've found a cheap stainless log style exhaust manifold on Ebay that is meant for B6ZE Miata's, that orients the turbo in the same style as the B6T mani. The biggest plus though, is that it is flanged for DSM style TD05 turbo's. I have plethora of these from stock 14B's all the way up to genuine MHI 16G's. All of which way outflow 11/14 and Tbird hybrids. I'd like to mate this with a O2 housing, BOV, 390CC injectors/resistor box, and an aftermarket intake pipe all from my DSM collection. I also have some DSM intercoolers, as well as access to Probe and EVO 8/9 IC's. Only real fab work will be modifying an O2 housing, making a downpipe and getting crafty with plumbing for various things.

-All of this will be tied together with a Rocketchip, Walbro 255/FPR and a fuel pump rewire. All also most likely toss in an aftermarket clutch to handle the extra load.

-I'll also be putting it on a diet, removing AC, cruise control, power steering and any unneeded intake or emissions components.
3. Perform some suspension/brake upgrades
-Pretty easy. Freshen up the suspension, do the Galant rotor upgrade, possibly lowering springs and sway bar(s).

4. Devise a unique tuning solution to make even more power
-Obviously the Rocketchip will only take me so far. What I'd eventually like to do, is further tap into my DSM stockade to be able to tune the Capri. Basically the Capri will be converted to use a 1G turbo DSM engine harness and ECU. Then, I can use the pretty easy to use DSMLink to tune it. It's actually been done a few times on Miata's and some 240SX's. The BP/B6ZE Miata's coilpack and CAS are physically identical to what is used on a 1G DSM, which will help eliminate some headache. With DSMLink I'd be able to:
-Use much better flowing air meters, or switch to speed density
-Use much larger injectors and tune for E85
-Drop in a set of B6ZE Kelford 272 cams that I often drool over
-Program in things like launch control or no lift shift
-Break things faster...

I should be getting to tear down very shortly. I'll be upgrading with my progress as it happens.

Let me know what you think.

JJ:
Sounds ambitious!  Good luck!

mitch1204:
Them fan switches are very expensive.

Sounds like a plan. I should get done around August. The body and interior is last. Then I'm going to drive and drive until something else breaks. :)

What Capris that are left in 5 years will be some nice ones.

Rocketman:
Aftermarket clutch will be a must. I really like ACT's super street disk with the HD pressure plate. Fidanza makes a nice billet flywheel that makes a good combo if you've got the bank for it.

A front strut bar will help.

The 14/11 is quite simple to make, if only to get you back up & running. And the 11/Tbird is no laughing matter. Don't rule them out. Mitsu turbos have been done, they seem to pair nicely. I rode in one, the guy welded the flange to the stock manifold. The hotsides don't choke the engine like the IHI units, but they do spool a bit later as tradeoff.

There was someone here who converted the electrical system to a Honda ecu to run Chrome or Hondata, not sure which - he didnt provide any technical details. It can be done. Megasquirt is quite popular and likely easier to wire in than an OE from another vehicle, and can be configured to handle literally anything

Good luck! Look forward to updates!

ShelbyZ:

--- Quote from: Rocketman on January 15, 2015, 01:57:08 AM ---Aftermarket clutch will be a must. I really like ACT's super street disk with the HD pressure plate. Fidanza makes a nice billet flywheel that makes a good combo if you've got the bank for it.

A front strut bar will help.

The 14/11 is quite simple to make, if only to get you back up & running. And the 11/Tbird is no laughing matter. Don't rule them out. Mitsu turbos have been done, they seem to pair nicely. I rode in one, the guy welded the flange to the stock manifold. The hotsides don't choke the engine like the IHI units, but they do spool a bit later as tradeoff.

There was someone here who converted the electrical system to a Honda ecu to run Chrome or Hondata, not sure which - he didnt provide any technical details. It can be done. Megasquirt is quite popular and likely easier to wire in than an OE from another vehicle, and can be configured to handle literally anything

Good luck! Look forward to updates!

--- End quote ---

For a clutch, I'm probably going to use a tried and trusted budget approach from the AWD DSM world. AN XTD/Kupp/etc. "Stage 4", but swap the 6-puck disk for a nicer full face disk.

Only reason I'd like to use Mitsu turbo's is because I have about a dozen of them, and parts to build/rebuild about a dozen more. I've also dealt with rebuilding RHB5 turbo's in the past and can't stand dealing with those tiny screws and the scarcity of replacement turbines and compressors. In comparison, TD05 Mitsu turbo's are a breeze to rebuild, and new parts are still readily available and affordable. I will most likely frankenstein the B6T manifold with one of the many undesireable 1G DSM manifolds I have laying around.

The Honda ECU swap is interesting too. I've seen the DSM swap done on a Miata, and it didn't seem to be too involved. Between myself and a few DSM buddies, I have access to just about everything I'll need for the swap, as well as a ton of experience with DSMLink. I'll probably get a junk yard engine harness from another XR2 before hacking into the cars. Plus, I can use the Link and ECU from my DSM to test the setup. This whole thing will be way down the road though. I'll probably be in touch with you when the car is ready to run, and will probably run a Mitsu turbo and a Rocketchip at reasonable boost while I address other issues.

Another sub project that I have been looking into is playing with different B6 cams. I saw an old thread on here where someone used a B6 Miata exhaust cam and saw great results, but it had me scratching my head. On paper, it looks identical to the B6T ex. cam, just degreed for more N/A overlap. The cam that intrigues me, is the '94-96 B6 MX3 exhaust cam. The MX3 motor has the CAS on the exhaust cam, so in thoery it could be used as an intake cam in the B6T. It has a 245* duration, over the B6T intake cams 236*. Might make for some more gains.

I'll be starting the teardown process and some updates here, as soon as my broken WRX is fixed and out of the garage (and hopefully sold...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version