TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Kelmark XR-2 Project  (Read 47704 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Kelmark XR-2 Project
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 08:07:08 AM »

Very impressive accomplishment.  Does it drive and ride to suit you?

Jack
Jack Byrd

Surfnut

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2016, 08:52:57 AM »

Thanks Jack!  I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you but I work 7 days a week and I'm smack in the middle of moving so 3/4 of my life is packed in boxes right now and I don't know if I'm coming or going.   :o

The car is quite impressive to drive.  It's super tight and firm and rattle free. You can feel the car's lightness and how stiff and strong the frame is. Nothing creaks or squeaks - to be honest, it's hard to believe that a self-built car could feel this solid and refined.  I had a 2004 Crossfire and the Karma feels as solid as that car was.  The doors close with a 'clunk' and there are no squeaks or rattles or annoying vibrations.  It feels solid like the Crossfire but much, much lighter (and louder).

The shifter snicks and clicks into gear like some sort of high end Swiss machinery. The clutch pedal is FAR too hard but the travel is lightning quick and between the super quick pedal travel and the snicking and clicking of the shifter, changing gears is glorious. You WANT to keep shifting.

The power is beautiful.  I've never gone over 4000 RPM and I see no reason to unless i was looking to make a show. The exhaust is rumbly and crackly and when you really get on it, it the turbo whooshes, and the exhaust shouts and crackles like a giant angry hornet in a can. I can't tell you how fantastic it is to drive. I never would have believed a normal guy could build a car that feels this good. The XR2 drivetrain is fantastic!  You can imagine the acceleration if you took a good running XR2 and dropped a few hundred pounds.  Not a rocket ship but certainly not a slug and TONS of fun to drive.  In the future, I plan to upgrade the power (why not?  It's what we do!) but truthfully, I have absolutely no issues with the stock XR2's power.

The Karma looks good but it actually drives better than it looks.   :)

Thank you for your reply!

Dave

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »

First time Ive seen this thread. I love it, that is a incredible show of work! I love the looks of the Karma, it reminds me of a Ferarri 206!
Mike  ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:51:07 PM by WashiestSnake »
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2016, 10:32:25 AM »

You did a great job with the car!

Have you taken the car to a scale yet? cuz I’m curious as to how much the car actually weighs.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »

Dave-
Congrats! I'm glad you were able to finish this project up, and be happy with the results! I've been watching this build evolve for what, 6 years now?
It's a beautiful car!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Surfnut

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »

Thanks very much guys!!   :) :) :)

Yes, Russ, I think I started dabbling sometime in 2010.  I found this video of the starting and running XR2 engine that I posted on September 4, 2010 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyTWw07xNhk

I remember pulling the drivetrain out of the XR2 in the winter so to my recollection, I probably "started" in early 2010.  By late summer, the stock wiring harness was cut down enough to make the engine run.

A little more than a year later (December, 2011), I had the rearmost part of the frame "done" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr4EXn2J2cE

This is when I still had my pushrod suspension (eventually trashed that).  So sometime between September 2010 and December 2011 saw the start of the fabrication of the frame.  I didn't actually get the Karma until June 2013 and that's when things really started to move along.

I hope I will be able to drive the car to the Capri meet in 2017 -wherever and whenever that will be.

At some point in the future, I'm going to have to start planning on building in more power..... 8)

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your comments!

Dave

Surfnut

« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »

Hi guys,

Neat news - my Karma has been featured in a magazine (E-zine).  The magazine is called, "ReinCarNation Magazine" and it focuses on replica, continuation and low volume automobiles.  They included a lot of pictures of the build process, which I think is very cool.

Unfortunately, the author got a few of the details confused and not much is mentioned about the Capri XR-2.   :(   What is mentioned isn't correct.  I've decided that I will produce some YouTube videos focusing on the build process and one of the videos will go a bit more indepth on the XR-2 drivetrain.  Hopefully, the videos will help to set the record straight - just in case somebody out there actually cares about it someday.

Here's a link to the e-zine article
:

http://reincarnationmag.com/garage/karma-re-engineered

And here's a link to the first, general / overall build video I just finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK68jaMqWws

Other slideshow type videos will follow.

I hope all is well with everyone here.

Dave

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2016, 08:59:56 AM »

Great vision, great execution.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]