TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Rear caliper question  (Read 5992 times)

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
Rear caliper question
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »

After getting my '91 going, I'm now tearing into the brakes, they were apart when I got it. Would like to know if you need the long shims ( rears ) and where they go, didn't take them off and the hardware kit doesn't have them . Only have 2 of them SO if I do need them...anybody have a couple extra laying around or know where I could get them ?? I've read to put them on a certain way and all, top/bottom etc... they're about 1/2" wide by 1 1/8" in dimension. Thanks in advance for any help you have and , hope you all have a Cool Yule and a good New Year too !

blueamber

Re: Rear caliper question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:27 AM »

There are lots of brake pads to chose from, some have the shim built into the pad, kind of glued on.  Shims just keep squeaks and noises to a minimum, they don't affect braking power, just don't try to put shims onto pads that have them built in...

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:25:08 AM »

These are the snap on shims that , I think, go on the back part of the caliper arm. There are 2 different sizes, and if not put on right will rub on the disc. Upper and lower, it's mentioned in the manuals but, doesn't show where...   

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »

I developed a left rear brake noise after changing the wheel bearings. I remember the shim falling off when I took the caliper off. I'm questioning whether I put the shim back on since I done the job in the yard. I know my rear pads are getting thin so I'll tackle that soon.

Let us know what you find. I normally buy Quick Silver's.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:25:28 PM »

I'm sure someone around here will know what it is, especially those who did the brake upgrades I would think ??!! Too bad the parts were all in a box and not together so I could have messed it up, at least I know about it to not possibly mess it up more, ask a stupid question rather than make a stupid mistake !

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »

Well, would anybody have some pictures of a assembled rear caliper by chance ?? Can't find anything out there. As far as I can tell the shims are called ' anti rattle clips ' ? Driving me nuts.. and that's a short drive . Thanks.

JJ

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:13:55 PM »

i'm about to take off the rear driver's wheel right now to check noise. will try to snap some pics.

JJ

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »

That would be great, I've assembled and hung the calipers back on the car, but it's still driving me nuts as to where they go ! I won't be going anywhere with it anytime soon, doing fronts now, timing belt and water pump next on list, then windows, possibly a new top too ! About the only consolation for long winters is we're not missing any fun time to be out cruising around !! Looking forward to the mystery being solved !

mitch1204

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »

It sounds like you are where I was 6 months ago. :)

Here's the online manual if you need it. The brake section has good illustrations.

http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/1991_Service_Manual.html

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »

Thanks Mitch, the books do talk about the anchor plate shims but they don't show where, just a vague description. Fronts show the same thing, not there yet though. I scored a factory /dealer manual a couple weeks ago (for '92 Capri) not so much as a smudge on it, it's practically the same as the online manual but...it isn't as clear about those shims either ! Really handy book to have, not like those " book of suggestions ", they're good for taking the wobble out of the kitchen table or barstool !   

mitch1204

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 08:06:33 PM »

Lol at the wobble. I had a $62 gift card from Advance from when I bought my struts. I spent part of it buying brake pads which I never put on. My fronts are in good shape but my rears are getting worn.
All I did was take the rear calipers off while installing my bearings. Now it makes one heck of a racket in reverse only when the car is cold. What did I do? It's not like I dissected it. I did clean and put a dab of brake grease on the slides. I'm not really worried yet until I run a red light. I want to get my front end done. Seems like I have to win the lottery to get there. I have this phobia we are going to run out of Capri parts so I keep buying everything I see. I could of started with four tires and have a Capri minus one bolt I couldn't find.  ???

What part of N. IL you at? I use to live in Ringwood if you know where that's at? Near Fox Lake/ McHenry.

Maybe some Midas brake guru will chime in. Them Australians have funny ways of building things.

Pappy T

• 91 base Capri
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

Yeah , parts, I'm finding ,are hard to find. Lots of google-ing time involved, especially for info. Those flat shim pieces are driving me nuts as to where they go and I hate to button everything up only to find out it's wrong somehow.
Didn't think it got that 'cold' down there in TN, can imagine the racket it would make if you were still up here !!
I'm in the Huntley area, not too far from your old stomping grounds. Glad to see someone had enough sense to get out of here!