TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Steering Rack Housing/Oil Seal  (Read 3800 times)

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
Steering Rack Housing/Oil Seal
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »

...Right side of Steering Rack has developed a bad leak where the inner tie rod goes into the rack. Does the entire rack need to be removed to remove old seal/replace or can it be done with rack in place. Also does anybody have the part numbers for seal/rubber ring?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Steering Rack Housing/Oil Seal
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »

I haven't encountered any issues like this before. I'm guessing the whole rack needs to be removed - it's a chore to just replace the ITR. Im sure the factory manual has a pretty detailed section on it.

I wonder if it may be easier to replace the whole rack with a rebuilt unit?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »

...I checked around at the auto parts stores, they all carry rebuilt, complete Cardone Hydraulic Power Rack&Pinons with attached inner tie rods for the Capri. Advance Auto Parts was the least expensive at $169.99 delivered to the front door. O'Reileys Auto Parts was the only one that carries the rebuild kits for $55.00. I went the easy way out and ordered the whole unit.

T Rex

• 1993 Capri N/A. 1995 Rover Mini. 2011 TDI Jetta
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »

Great choice on the replacement. I once rebuilt the rack on a Mustang 5.0. It required lots of special tools, some I bought and some I had to make. I would never even consider doing that again.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »

Make sure you get the power steering pump pressure checked out before replacing the rack.  I just had a rack replaced (smoking when steering fluid hit the exhaust pipe/cat), drove it home and it still smoked.  Seems the pressure relief valve in the pump was stuck, causing excess pressure to blow out the old rack seals, and the replacement rack seals...