TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Coolant overflow - with a new radiator!  (Read 3420 times)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
Coolant overflow - with a new radiator!
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:33:09 AM »

I installed a new radiator a few months ago to solve (I thought) an overheating and coolant leak problem.  I didn't have a problem until a long drive last weekend.  I parked the car and noticed coolant on the ground and in the engine compartment.  No leak at the upper radiator hose, no leak at the overflow bottle and nothing came out of the overflow bottle (though it was past MAX).  Based on the coolant location in the pictures, any guess where the coolant is coming from?

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Coolant overflow - with a new radiator!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:46:22 PM »

That metal pipe you posted a picture of... look to the right of that hold down nut... up under the distributor you will see a small coolant bypass hose T-ing off that metal pipe. That little hose can be your culprit.

Mine got a pin hole last week and I overheated causing my head to warp. So be extra careful not to get the engine hot or a small repair becomes a big one.

If you have a hard time finding it go borrow a cooling system pressure test kit from AutoZone or Advance. They have the fogger and everything to find a leak.

That much coolant you should be able to visually find it. Also check your heater hoses which enter the center of the firewall. The other end of the hoses are in that area. Also check the perimeter of the head gasket for coolant. You'll see it clinging to the gasket if that's the case.

Your overflow tube should be hanging over by the radiator. I doubt that's your problem. It might bubble out of there with a defective radiator cap or busted head gasket.

Also in your picture is your fan switch. Key on,  unplug it and the fan should come on. Make sure the fan works when the car is hot or that fan switch might be bad.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:52:37 PM by mitch1204 »

Capri-guy

• 1994 Capri N/A & '86/'98 Saab 9000
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »

and while you're at it: also check the (short) hose that goes from you intake manifold to your idle control valve. it's at the back of the engine, on the passenger's side. it's a pita to check and replace, but often ignored/neglected. it took me 1.5 hrs just to get rid of the last piece of the hose at the intake manifold. if necessary, replace it with a piece (about 15cm/6in) of fuel line, inner diameter 8mm.
1994 Mercury Capri 1.6 16v, reef green 173k mi.
1998 Saab 9000CSE 2.0t LPT Anniversary Scarab green 203k mi.
1986 Saab 9000CC 2.0i Odoardo grey, 153k km.

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

Mitch, you are correct.  The culprit was the coolant bypass hose under the distributor.  I found a 90 degree emission hose at AAP that is the same size (OD and ID).  This should do the trick.  Thank you.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:39:53 PM »

Glad you found it. I used Dayco 86500 from AAP. That hose you have to trim the ends off but it works good there.

I bought every hose AAP has listed for a Capri. ☺
Then they let me go in the back and get creative finding the hard to find hoses.