TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Crank Timing Gear Removal?  (Read 4642 times)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Crank Timing Gear Removal?
« on: October 09, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

How do you get the crank timing gear off so I can put a new front crank seal on? I'm having a hard time and scared I'll mess it up. I see two little screw holes like there might be a mini puller. I soaked it WD in the mean time.

I pried behind with no luck and it's too tight for a normal puller.

Any tricks?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Crank Timing Gear Removal?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »

Do you have a large nose or small nose crankshaft?

The main crank bolt needs to be removed (im sure youve seen this) the timing cog should slide right off, it is not a press fit like some cars. There was a gent here recently where his was rusted on pretty good and took a lot of effort to remove, but that's not really 'normal'
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mitch1204

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »

I'm not sure of the large or small? The nose is about an inch in diameter. Yes, I got the pulleys, balancer, big bolt and key off with ease. All that remains is that timing gear. It looks like it should slide off but it's such a tight fit. I can force it to rotate but that will beat the gear up. I'd say it's a rare find and rather not go there. :)

I might try the torch today and maybe the gear will expand. It's one of them cheap gears that's hollow on the back side. Prying just flexes it. The crank doesn't look rusted or corroded.

The two holes I see in it are off center so they are probably balance holes opposite the key way. 23 years on there it'll probably take just breaking it free. I took yesterday off and didn't fool with it. I'll tackle it today.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:38:33 AM by mitch1204 »

mitch1204

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »

I finally got it off, yoohoo!

I couldn't get anywhere prying. I soaked it and soaked it some more with WD40. Then I took a chunk of wood and a hammer and forced it to rotate. By the second revolution it broke free and slid right off.

Maybe this thread will help someone else as I think I saw that gear priced at $162. Expensive little booger.

Now this all started with me wanting to change a leaky crank seal. I oiled the new Felpro seal and pushed it in place with my fingers. That kind of bothers me. It was too easy and I could rotate it. Every round seal I've dealt with before needed forced into place.

I did take a big socket and gave it some love taps. It seemed to spread some. I trust the Felpro brand but I think that seal could've  been a hair bigger.

I hope it doesn't spin or leak or I'll be tearing it back down again. Anyone else encounter this problem? If I've know it was like that I would have used some RTV on the outer edge.

mitch1204

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:41 AM »

Another learning experience... AAP lists two crank seals and gasket sets for the front of the motor. One is before Dec 1990 and the other after. I'm not sure why they offer both when you ask for a 1991 but pay close attention to the dates in the description. My bad but who would think they changed cranks so early in production. I know the Capri was made for a couple years earlier in Aussieland. Maybe that's why. There's only about a 1/32 difference in diameter.

I'm glad I found out before I had to tear it back apart. 😉

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 07:07:10 PM »

It was a running production change to the 27mm crank nose from the 22mm that had all the keyway issues. Not only was the crank changed but the oil pump as well to accept the larger crank nose. If you have a 91 it will be best to check before you start buying parts. December of 90 is much earlier than what has been published...after Aug of 91 is what I remember so make sure you measure that crank before buying the seal or oil pump.

mitch1204

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:26 PM »

After you post saying a 5mm difference I double checked the part #. I had the right one that come in a crankshaft seal kit which includes the water and oil pump gaskets. It says "from" Dec 1990 right on the box. It must be a defect on Felpro's part. It was just a hair too small on the OD. The ID was perfect. It filled the hole but you could push it in with your fingers and even spin it. I ended up buying a National Gasket seal and that one I had to drive in like it's suppose to.

I've used Felpro 38 years and that's the first goof up I've seen on their part.

Started it up today and drove it. I'm very happy. Purrs like a kitten. 😀
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:28:34 PM by mitch1204 »

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »

Necro'd.

How in the hell does one loosen the crank bolt on an MT? Even my MAC impact isn't enough...is there an inspection plate or something I can brace the crank with?

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »

Put a long breaker bar on that reaches the garage floor and give the motor a quick bump with the starter...has been known to work. Otherwise, put it in gear and have someone in the car standing on the brakes and give a good pull with a breaker bar with a long steel pipe on it.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »

Did it with wp pulley holder tool. Bamski