TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: cup holder for the Capri  (Read 7438 times)

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
cup holder for the Capri
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »

I found out the hard way that the cup holder between the seats doesn't hold a Coke securely. I think since 1991 that the cups have changed in size or maybe something is missing where the cups sit? At any rate, if you go on Ebay and look for dash cup holders for the Capri's, you'll find them. I did.
    To install them, just take the radio out of the dash and move it to where the storage pocket is. Take the storage pocket and cut the rear half of it off and snap the front half back into the dash where the radio originally was. Take the NEW cup holder/storage box and trim the side plastic screw holders down so you have a TIGHT fit. Push the holder/box assembly into the modified storage pocket and PRESTO!! Looks just like factory. You can pull the cup holders out to use them or push them back in when not in use. Same for the storage box. I didn't put the cup holder in the lower opening because I have a stick shift and the shifter would hit the holder when its pulled out.
    Next project? The NEW upholstery I ordered for the car! I'll let you know how that goes. Custom made to fit upholstery in just about any kind of design and fabric you want!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: cup holder for the Capri
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »

If there's no pictures, it didn't happen.  Seriously, I'll be looking.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:51:15 AM »

Lots of early 90's fords had these single din cup holders, taurus was one I believe.  The last one I installed just pushed in without the cutting you described.

I've been thinking of shortening my shifter rod to bring the gear shifter back a little, maybe a cup holder would work then in the bottom slot...I like my radio where it is...

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »

Another fine idea I'll consider. I wonder how it'll work with the auto shifter? I like my stereo up top too. I currently wedge drinks on the right side of the emergency brake (tighter than the left side) than use the current cup holders which I tend to forget the drink is there. I've spilled a couple there.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »

I have several factory coin/cup holders available - $40 + shipping...

Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:19:07 AM »

Where were you when I needed you!!! LOL!! I would have bought one of yours. Mine is similar. Cup holders pull out on the bottom, top drawer is a small storage box for coils sunglasses etc.. The radio is ok in the bottom space. Its not like we are going to be fiddling with the dials and stations, right?
 So how did you upload a picture to the forum?

Chicken

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »

yeah, I found mine out of a Mercury Sable of the same year. I wish it protruded enough so that I wouldn't have to pull it out of the dash to use it.

NiteLord

• 91Cap,94Cap,86FieroGT,94G.C
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:43 AM »

...save your money on these cup holders..there not made for the Capri, the slide for the cup holder doesn't come out far enough to clear the trim bezel lip making them unusable..I left mine in just for looks...

Btown

• 1992 turbo clubsprint x 2
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »

Here is mine. Lowered double did and fitted a push to spring release from BMW
https://www.facebook.com/bernard.town/posts/10203684880352896
1992 Clubsprint x 3
Lowered, stiffened, boosted, chipped, fun
Daily Drive, 5.0 MY17 GT Ruby Red Mustang