TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: What did you do to your Capri today?  (Read 217720 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: What did you do to your Capri today?
« Reply #450 on: June 04, 2020, 07:29:16 AM »

Hi all,

Well gee...

...I wasn't nearly so productive as Jack, but yesterday I brought my red '91 out of winter hibernation, checking everything and put fourteen test miles on it. All went well...sorta. I found the clutch sticks in gear once in a while...sigh...

And, instead of checking here first (still new and learning), I ordered two closeout air filters from Rock Auto, then found the discount and closeout reference here.

Cheers all!

Steve

Stick around, lots to learn and people to help you with it.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

redsteve

• 1991 Capri, the rest are red or appliances...
« Reply #451 on: June 04, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »

I'm hoping to be more active in reading and learning here this year, and hoping to drive my Capri a bit more too.  So, Jack, I appreciate the encouragement!

I will be posting over on repairs to enquire about the likely clutch problem, I don't what any confusion about mixing threads.

Cheers all!

Steve

xscottw

• 1993 Mercury Capri Base Manual
« Reply #452 on: June 15, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »

Not all today but over the last two;
I tried to replace the O2 sensor which appears to be the OEM one, and stripped the f**** out of it,
then to get more room to get tools on it tried to remove the heat shield on the manifold and broke 3 of its bolts and stripped the last 2.
(My vice grips decided to wind up missing too so that puts that on hold for now)

Then I started to replace my passenger door handles, got the outside one on, but the lock plate(?) is stuck in a weird position where it wont work, and tried to put the inside one on and it broke after 3 openings (I guess the mechanism was too stiff for the plastic?).

All in all a disappointing and frustrating weekend and my car runs even crappier but I guess it was a learning experience for sure  ;D :'(

belleaudb

• 92 XR2
« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2020, 09:27:18 PM »

Today I replaced my oil pressure sending unit. Starting this season the gauge has been jumping all over the place. Super high pressure then almost no pressure. Cleaning the connection did not fix the issue.

I found a suitable replacement for under $130.00: WVE brand 1S6654. WVE is NGK/NTK brand and is made in Japan. 

Removing the old sending unit was a tedious job. The starter bracket was removed many years ago so I did not have to deal with it. In order to get room I had to remove the oil filter and cooler. I left the coolant lines attached to the cooler and moved it out of the way. I had to use a 5/8 open end wrench to remove the old sending unit. I removed both the sender and the extension fitting. The new sending unit required a 17mm open end wrench to tighten into the extension fitting. I had to use the old extension fitting with the new sensor otherwise it would hit the knock sensor.  I cleaned all mating surfaces and reinstalled the oil cooler.

The process took about an hour. I did all the work from below. Of course I disconnected the battery.  On cold start the oil pressure reads about 1 1/2 needle width above the max normal line. However after the engine warms up the needle stays a few needle widths below the max normal line and will go to the max normal line when above 1800 rpm. I did a 30 mile drive today and the gauge is working properly now. Checked for oil leaks and all is dry. Hopefully this sending unit will last 28 years like the old one did.

redsteve

« Reply #454 on: July 10, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »

Hi all,

Well, since it is National Collector Car Appreciation Day, see semasan.com for more information, I drove my Capri down the mountain and back for an appointment and some errands. I returned back up the mountain before the temperature hit 100 "down there."

I saw only two other "collector cars" on the road, an Audi R8 and a Maserati GranTurismo, neither of which can go topless like I was.

How about you?

Cheers,

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #455 on: July 11, 2020, 08:39:19 AM »

Hi all,

Well, since it is National Collector Car Appreciation Day, see semasan.com for more information, I drove my Capri down the mountain and back for an appointment and some errands. I returned back up the mountain before the temperature hit 100 "down there."

I saw only two other "collector cars" on the road, an Audi R8 and a Maserati GranTurismo, neither of which can go topless like I was.

How about you?

Cheers,

Steve

I was going to get mine out, but the battery was dead.  Put it on the charger and it's kaput.  Gotta get a new one.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

jdp

• 1994 Magenta Capri NA, 94 Reef greenXR2 and 92 XR2
« Reply #456 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »

we have been on vacation. Just got home and saw the two 94's in the garage as I walked by them.  Too hot outside...I laying around in the ac today!
John

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #457 on: July 21, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »

Spent most of my day wondering why I didn't just join the Navy. Kuwait SUCKS. Staring at pics of my XR2 and putting a budget together for my V6 swap.

redsteve

« Reply #458 on: July 31, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

Hi all,

Well, because I wasn't thinking about it, I gently dusted my Capri with sanding dust from a cabinetmaking project. I should have backed it out of the shop before blocking it in with the project,eh?

So, either I vacuum it out or take a long open air ride in the mountains this weekend ( and vacuum out what's left...).

How about you all?

Steve

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #459 on: August 01, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »

Hi all,

Well, because I wasn't thinking about it, I gently dusted my Capri with sanding dust from a cabinetmaking project. I should have backed it out of the shop before blocking it in with the project,eh?

So, either I vacuum it out or take a long open air ride in the mountains this weekend ( and vacuum out what's left...).

How about you all?

Steve

I'm considering the same thing Steve.  We're going to be messed up with rain for the next few day.
Jack Byrd

jdp

« Reply #460 on: August 01, 2020, 09:33:46 PM »

I had both the 92 and 94 xr2's out for a spin today.  Not a long run, but enough to blow the dust of them.
John

redsteve

« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »

Well, yesterday, after putting in a few fence posts into Rocky Mountain rocks...

....we drove an eighty mile round-trip to the nearest DQ for a large chocolate malt.

Today, coming off the interstate, I followed a red Capri into town but couldn't catch up to say hello. He was enjoying himself...

Steve

JimmyGermany

• On the search for parts less broken than mine :-)
    • 1993 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #462 on: August 23, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »

Well, today I tried a DIY patch job on the roof with a piece of vinyl and “Amazing Goop”. Will let you know how it holds up.

Cheers
James

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »

Dyed my tan Mercedes=Benz seats gray.
Jack Byrd

jdp

« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »

that's interesting Jack....what did you use and would you recommend it?  I need to dye some worn areas on the driver side leather seat of my 94 xr2.
John
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36