TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36

Author Topic: What did you do to your Capri today?  (Read 217668 times)

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
Re: What did you do to your Capri today?
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »

The 16s and 18s are both 5x114 lug pattern and won’t bolt to the stock Capri 4x114 hubs. The 18s are also wider rims with 245/r45/18 tires and would require spacers, I even had to use spacers to fit them on the probe so they wouldn’t rub on the struts.  I was originally planning to use the 16s but after mocking them up, I don’t think they look as good on my Capri as the 17s.

garlson

• Capri
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2015, 04:10:48 AM »

Washed the exterior and went to a local parts store to buy plastidip. I'm planning to paint my wheels this week.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #137 on: May 20, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »

I just got  new WI collector plates and installed them today.. :)

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »

Replaced all the marker light bulbs as well as the driving light bulbs, since they're all the same bulb anyway. I originally started to diagnose a dim driver's front marker light but then found that every bulb except the passenger front side marker was bad. Replaced them all and now everything lights up as it should. Previous owner wasn't even aware those red side markers lit up, they've been dead for so long! Feels pretty good.

Also picked up a pair of headlights. The old ones are all originals and fogged like crazy, so since I have to pull a headlight motor tomorrow anyway I figured, may as well replace both headlights while I'm at it. If weather and everything holds up, I'll be trying to do both the headlight repairs and a valve cover gasket replacement. We'll see how it goes.

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2015, 01:39:50 AM »

Washed her and gave her a healthy undercoating swipe. New cv axle on the driver side, looks like it's time to do the brake mod, as well. Put in the hid lights and the ngk laser iridium plugs, drilled the airbox. (Moooooooooo!) Tranny flush and change to Lucas 75/90.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »

Washed her and gave her a healthy undercoating swipe. New cv axle on the driver side, looks like it's time to do the brake mod, as well. Put in the hid lights and the ngk laser iridium plugs, drilled the airbox. (Moooooooooo!) Tranny flush and change to Lucas 75/90.

Quite a productive day, I need one of those.  Can you tell any difference with the NGK plugs?  Been considering those myself.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2015, 05:14:50 PM »

Yes, actually. Feels like it's burning waaaaaay healthier now.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2015, 06:28:26 PM »

About fifty miles from home, going to a car show, my transmission decided to implode.  Started out slipping out of fifth and then started making metallic clinking noises.  Only had it on the road for a week after installing a new Excedy clutch.  Wonder if the mechanic failed to put fluid in it.  Didn't have a socket so I couldn't check it out.  And my pickup has a flat, it if weren't for back luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.  Anyone know of a tranny in northwest NC.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2015, 08:31:01 PM »

I'm halfway home from my Florida trip. Stopped in GA for the night. Car is driving great on the interstate. Is it normal for the AC to bog the motor down? You notice it when you turn it on. Maybe the compressor is almost wore out?

Jack if a tranny jumps out of gear usually means the gears weren't fully meshing in the first place. Unless there is serious damage manuals are easily rebuildable if parts are available. Usually means new bearings and synchros. Gears and shafts are a different story. Maybe just your 5th gear synchronizer come apart. That would explain the rattling and then maybe wedged in some gears. They are brass and would take most of the damage over the steel parts.

I did see a 1991Capri for sale in the Asheville Craigslist. Guy just overheated it and decided to sell it. Good looking car. Asking $700 you might get it for $500. Look under cars for sale and do a search on Capri.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:39:39 PM by mitch1204 »

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  I'm going to the transmission shop tomorrow to talk to a guy about an upholstery job I'm doing for him and was going to check into rebuilding.  The tip on the XR2 is great also.  I may be more interested in doing the head than a transmission. 

As far as bogging goes, mine bogs when operating the power windows as idle.

Jack Byrd 
Jack Byrd

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:03 AM »

Hey Mitch all AC compressors are power hogs.  It takes a good bot of power to turnthe compressor, so you it is normal to feel a little "BOG" when you engage the AC.  Not much to worry about.  Even my HEMI RT Magnum fluctates as the compressor clutch turn on and off.

mitch1204

« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »

Okay thanks, I won't worry as much now. It kept me cool the whole way home. I did turn it off when I needed more hp to climb hills as a precaution because the temp gauge was running a hair higher than normal. I guess that's expected when it's hot out and you're running 70 mph.

I did have a weird occurrence. I stopped at a Wal-Mart and since I had my dogs with me I left the car on idling in the parking lot with the AC on. I come back out and left only to see a wall of smoke behind me. Oh crap, not a good time to break down being 180 miles from home. I immediately pulled into an Advance AP across the highway. All I could find is it appeared oil come out the oil cap and pooled on the exhaust manifold. Why it done that? I added a 1/3 qt of oil and no problem the rest of the way. The PCV is new. Oil had to back up under the valve cover. Maybe it's just a bad cap. I'll buy a new one. I wouldn't think the oil drain is clogged with recent head work. Oil pressure was a little higher than normal after that for 30 miles or so. 3000 miles into a synthetic oil change. Maybe a cheap filter. I think I put a Pure One filter on it. Oil change and new cap and I'll see if the problem returns. It sure was weird.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »

Picked up a transmission, hope it's a good one.  Also picked up a trunk floor w/a decent carpet and the foam spacer.  Will attach a pic when my charges up.  The foam looks new.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2015, 07:31:49 AM »

Where did you find one at Jack? I'll be coming through that way in a couple weeks when I go get my new old Capri.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »

Where did you find one at Jack? I'll be coming through that way in a couple weeks when I go get my new old Capri.

I found it through Craigslist at a little place in Wardensville, WV.  4 1/2 hour drive.  I just hope it's a good one.  Let me know when you are coming though, we'll do lunch.  If that car had a manual, I'd been all over it.

Jack
Jack Byrd
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36