General > General

What did you do to your Capri today?

(1/107) > >>

Grimsleeper:
I thought I'd start a thread to show what we are all doing to our Capri's on a daily basis.  I participate in a thread like this on the HD Road Glide forum and it's pretty interesting to see what gets posted.

So, I'll get it started!

I replaced a bent rear bumper bracket this weekend.  Well it actually turned into replacing a complete bumper assembly.  I bought a complete unit from a black 93 XR2 that is in a local salvage yard.  It turned out it was in much better shape that my original.  So with a little soap and water, 2 cans of white primer surfacer and a couple of red spray bombs, I had a new bumper that lined up well and fit very nicely.

Next project will be to install the 5th gear upgrade I got from Russ at Roo-Sport and install the new canvas convertible top.

So who's next?

mitch1204:
I'm right in the middle of taking my head off. I've been losing coolant and found that small L shaped hose under the distributor had a pin hole in it. I replaced it only to notice I was still losing a small amount of coolant.

I didn't find the culprit for a few days then I noticed moisture and a few water droplets coming out the exhaust when the car was warm. After closer inspection I found a small leak oozing out one corner of the head gasket near #4. So I ordered a Felpro head gasket set and here I am. I have both the manifolds off and I'm starting on the front side.

I have one dilemma today as I pulled one head bolt out only to discover my new head bolts are an inch short. I had a hard time finding these. Does anyone know a source for head bolts? If I had to could I reuse the old bolts? I read in techcapri's manual refers to them as stretch bolts which kind of scares me to reuse the old ones.

After this project everything under the hood ought to be fairly new except the distributor and oil pump. Those I'll tackle in the next year.

I've also bought new struts, mounts and boots I'll put on next weekend. Then comes a new set of Cooper Cobra GT tires. ;)

azgtx:
Correct, the head bolts are torque to yield bolts. Some will reuse them...I won't. Just get a set of ARP head studs for a Miata and call it done.

greywolf27030:
I like this thread, I follow one like it on the Festiva Forum.  I ordered a convertible top.  Hopefully get it weather proofed next week.  I gave $500 for it and got it running with new gas, a fuel filter and repaired terminal to the fuel rail.  I followed that with new wheels and tires, oil pump, water pump, alternator and belts  I have a replacement clock and am going to dive into the now heat problem when the top is fixed.

Jack Byrd

Rocketman:

--- Quote from: azgtx on October 06, 2014, 06:54:28 AM ---Correct, the head bolts are torque to yield bolts. Some will reuse them...I won't. Just get a set of ARP head studs for a Miata and call it done.

--- End quote ---

All of the 'real' TTY bolts I have used have a much different torquing procedure, such as a progression from 35>55>70ftb-lbs in a pattern, then add 45°, and add another 90° in the same pattern. The turning via degrees of rotation while ignoring the applied torque level is the final bit that stretches the bolt to it's maximum "Yield"

The Mazda engines don't have such a procedure. I am positive that the bolts stretch, but nothing like a true TTY. FWIW I have re-used them without issue before. I believe twice in one instance. No issues to report on my end

What did I do to my Capri today? I've been driving my red XR2 daily and ignoring maintenance that needs to be done. Snow's coming, though :/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version