TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: What did you do to your Capri today?  (Read 216555 times)

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
What did you do to your Capri today?
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:48:06 PM »

I thought I'd start a thread to show what we are all doing to our Capri's on a daily basis.  I participate in a thread like this on the HD Road Glide forum and it's pretty interesting to see what gets posted.

So, I'll get it started!

I replaced a bent rear bumper bracket this weekend.  Well it actually turned into replacing a complete bumper assembly.  I bought a complete unit from a black 93 XR2 that is in a local salvage yard.  It turned out it was in much better shape that my original.  So with a little soap and water, 2 cans of white primer surfacer and a couple of red spray bombs, I had a new bumper that lined up well and fit very nicely.

Next project will be to install the 5th gear upgrade I got from Russ at Roo-Sport and install the new canvas convertible top.

So who's next?

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: What did you do to your Capri today?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 04:56:03 AM »

I'm right in the middle of taking my head off. I've been losing coolant and found that small L shaped hose under the distributor had a pin hole in it. I replaced it only to notice I was still losing a small amount of coolant.

I didn't find the culprit for a few days then I noticed moisture and a few water droplets coming out the exhaust when the car was warm. After closer inspection I found a small leak oozing out one corner of the head gasket near #4. So I ordered a Felpro head gasket set and here I am. I have both the manifolds off and I'm starting on the front side.

I have one dilemma today as I pulled one head bolt out only to discover my new head bolts are an inch short. I had a hard time finding these. Does anyone know a source for head bolts? If I had to could I reuse the old bolts? I read in techcapri's manual refers to them as stretch bolts which kind of scares me to reuse the old ones.

After this project everything under the hood ought to be fairly new except the distributor and oil pump. Those I'll tackle in the next year.

I've also bought new struts, mounts and boots I'll put on next weekend. Then comes a new set of Cooper Cobra GT tires. ;)

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »

Correct, the head bolts are torque to yield bolts. Some will reuse them...I won't. Just get a set of ARP head studs for a Miata and call it done.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »

I like this thread, I follow one like it on the Festiva Forum.  I ordered a convertible top.  Hopefully get it weather proofed next week.  I gave $500 for it and got it running with new gas, a fuel filter and repaired terminal to the fuel rail.  I followed that with new wheels and tires, oil pump, water pump, alternator and belts  I have a replacement clock and am going to dive into the now heat problem when the top is fixed.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »

Correct, the head bolts are torque to yield bolts. Some will reuse them...I won't. Just get a set of ARP head studs for a Miata and call it done.

All of the 'real' TTY bolts I have used have a much different torquing procedure, such as a progression from 35>55>70ftb-lbs in a pattern, then add 45°, and add another 90° in the same pattern. The turning via degrees of rotation while ignoring the applied torque level is the final bit that stretches the bolt to it's maximum "Yield"

The Mazda engines don't have such a procedure. I am positive that the bolts stretch, but nothing like a true TTY. FWIW I have re-used them without issue before. I believe twice in one instance. No issues to report on my end

What did I do to my Capri today? I've been driving my red XR2 daily and ignoring maintenance that needs to be done. Snow's coming, though :/
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »

Picked up a new(to me) rear bumper and a right quarter panel.  Well, I asked for a quarter panel, what they gave me was a quarter of the car.  They cut it in front of the front seat to the console and out the back.  What can you expect for $100?  Barely got it in my short bed pickup.  Also, a top latch, a console and the all the trim pieces off the top cover for $50.  $85 for the bumper.  How'd I do?

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:35:11 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. After checking I'm having the same problem with the Miata. It seems like old 1.6L head bolts are hard to find. Advance lists the same wrong bolt for the Miata as the Capri. Where did you get the Miata bolts at? I saved the bolt position and will go to max torque. I think final torque is 54-60 ft lbs. I'll just go to 60 if I have to use the old bolts. I've done that once before on a 350 with success.

Today I dropped my head off at the machine shop. Right now it's sitting in the hot tank. Tomorrow he will pressure test it and resurface it. If all goes well then and if it needs it he will do a valve job. At a minimum he'll put the new seals in.

Tomorrow I'll start on the struts, tie rods and ball joints while I'm waiting.

Oh yeah, I dropped the valve cover off too. He is going to clean that up so I can paint it. Any tips there? I figured heat paint, but do I need primer? The factory paint didn't have any and I'm not experienced painting aluminum.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:38:39 PM by mitch1204 »

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »

Hey this is looking pretty promising.  It's cool to see what we've all been doing.

So today my new canvas top arrived.  However the DVD installation guide was left out.  It's on the way though.  Should be here before the weekend.  Instead I started making templates to complete the boot floor.  I'm going to finish the floor out to the rear bulkhead and up the back behind the tail light housings.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »

Oh yeah, I dropped the valve cover off too. He is going to clean that up so I can paint it. Any tips there? I figured heat paint, but do I need primer? The factory paint didn't have any and I'm not experienced painting aluminum.

Not totally necessary, but starting with an etching primer should help the adhesion.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »

Had the front end aligned, seems to be in great shape and put bead sealer on three wheels in an attempt to keep air in the tires.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

blueamber

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »

Tried out the trailer hitch today.  Got it off a junk yard capri, I think U-haul or somebody makes these, it bolts to the tie-down points.  Purchased a used Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer, plan to make a mini camper and haul it with my 93 xr2. Unloaded, I could barely tell I was pulling anything, these trailers are about 250 pounds.  I think I'll wind up at about 600 pounds when done, the towing height will be about 36", the height of the capri trunk, expanded will be 6 to 7 feet, I haven't finished the design...

mitch1204

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 03:38:04 AM »

Today I finished installing my new struts, mounts and boots. It was a fun project. I also changed the lower ball joints and tie rod ends.

I got my head back from the shop. He did a great job with it. I finished cleaning it up and power brushed it. I then painted it and the valve cover a gun metal grey. I saw that color and liked it. It will contrast well with the red letters. I left the little rectangle around the letters brushed aluminum.

I'll post a picture after I get 'er back together. :)

Tomorrow will be head setting day along with the other stuff.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:43:37 AM by mitch1204 »

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 08:38:27 AM »

Hey Mitch,

Which struts did you go with?  I'm ready to change mine too but I haven't really settled on which ones I want to use.

mitch1204

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »

I went with the Monroe Sensa-tracs. One reason was price and availability at Advance Auto Parts. Order them online and either pick up in the store or ship home for free.

Go to procouponcode.com/advance and use their codes which are good up to 40% off. Break up the orders into multiple orders to maximize your discount. I believe I ended up saving 35%. I bought a bunch of other stuff recently and saved over $320 using them codes. Every code on his page is good.

For example, if one code says save $50 on purchases over $125 only put items as close to $125 on that order, then check out and start your next order. It's a strategy that works well. It's fun saving money.

What I did was picked it up at the store after ordering online. Then I borrowed their strut coil spring compressor while I was there. There tools are marked by kit #. You want kit# 1.

When ordering online the item must be in stock to complete an in store pick up. Check the store availability online. If the store doesn't have the item then call them and give them the part #. They will order it for you and have it there the next day. Then when they do get it you call them again and tell them to return the item to stock so you can complete your transaction online with your discount code. Then you complete your order online. Writing this out it sounds like a hassle but it's a fairly easy process.

If I remember correctly with struts, mounts and boots I paid like $300 for a $420 order. You can't beat that price anywhere.

Installation was easy. Just make sure you maintain your spring orientation with their rubber seats. Putting back together it's easiest to stand the strut on end and hold one compressor with your legs while you loosen the other side. Spin it around and keep repeating. Otherwise your spring jumps around and makes you cuss, lol.

Another trick is the top nut is hard to break loose once you have the assembly out. The shaft wants to spin. Vise grips or a pipe wrench won't hold that slick shaft. An easy remedy is lay the strut on it's side. Stick a big screwdriver in between two studs on the strut mount. That will hold it so you can get the big end nut off.

You'll need a 13, 14, 17 and 19 mm sockets and wrenches. A breaker bar helps. I torque everything so if you go that route the top nut is 30 ft lbs, the mount nuts 20 and the bottom bolts 80.

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »

Thanks Mitch.  I think I'll be going with KYB or a set of Tokico struts if I can find them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36