Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Aftermarket

Convertible top confusion!

(1/2) > >>

greywolf27030:
I've been scanning eBay, etc. for a top to make my Capri weather proof and have run across a confusing issue.  It seems some tops fit "88 to '94 models while others fit '92 to '94.  Why do some fit all and others come in two series, early and late?  Previously put a new top on a VW beetle and was easy, but I've already realized this is a totally different animal.  I'm interested to see how riveting a top on goes.

Thanks, Jack Byrd

tonlaw71:
There are two different tops because the length of the soft top over the side windows is different between the later and newer models. The easiest way to make sure you get the right one is to measure that area of your existing top and just order the new one based on that. You don't want to go by the year of the car because the top and frame could have been changed.

Rocketman:
IIRC, you can buy the larger top regardless of what one you have - and if you have the smaller top you'll just end up cutting off a bit extra? That's what I've been told, anyways

greywolf27030:
Thanks guys, any idea which is longer.  The early or the later model?

Jack

Chicken:
Later are longer. If you cut back, it does fit. The stitching isnt in the right place though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version