TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Brought home my first Capri this past weekend...  (Read 5486 times)

ShelbyZ

Brought home my first Capri this past weekend...
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »

1994 Mercury Capri XR2. Found it on a mass Craigslist Google search for XR2's and it was right around the corner. It's a little rough around the edges and needs a head gasket, but should be a neat little car. They only pushed out 366 XR2's in 1994. Car came with the original window sticker and hardtop stand.

Once it's back on the road, my buddy has a bunch of F2T Probe crap that might help pull a little more power out of it.
2008 Honda Fit Sport
1994 Dodge Dakota Sport V8
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T

Chicken

Re: Brought home my first Capri this past weekend...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »

Nice find.

Welcome to the circus!

Where is your where-abouts?

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »

PM me the last 5 digits of your VIN, and I can run your numbers for you....for example, IIRC, there were only 91 Reef green 94 XR2's....Also, although 366 were built, 358 were shipped here.

Please don't modify it!! It one of only 91 built, and looks to be in pretty good shape.

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

Good lookin xr2! If I didn't buy my 91 on impulse I would if bought a 94. With changing the head gasket you'll know what you have.

I had a valve job done while the head was being surfaced. The shop said a couple of my exhaust valves were a little burnt and they ground them down and reseated them. I can tell a difference. So spend a few extra dollars getting the head completely done versus a quickie resurface.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »

Yep..if you are taking the head off get it reworked then. The bottom ends on the B6t's are pretty tough. A fresh head will be very noticeable. Do the T belt and throw in some new pulleys and a water pump and a new front crank seal while you are at it. As for the F2t the only thing you would use is the VJ11 to hybrid to your VJ14. Nothing else can be used. Russ is spot on...do not modify that car if you want to hold the value.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

+3, looks too clean to modify. The 94 XR2s have been increasing in price pretty steadily, the number of nice ones out there has been dropping.

It's your car though, do what you want with it.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

mhowell

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

Mitch1204 if you dont mind me asking, how much did all the work on your cylinder head cost you?
My Rides
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 (Silver)
1992 Mercury Capri XR2 (Charcoal)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 (RED)

ShelbyZ

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »

Oops. Didn't notice the replies here. Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'm located in Waterford, MI. Close to Detroit.

As for the cars shape, the pictures taken from my phone are pretty deceiving. Upon closer inspection after getting the car home, I've found that the rockers are rotted pretty bad under the side skirts and the floors on both sides are exposing some carpet from underneath. I despise doing body work, but will most likely attempt to remedy these issues down the road with the help of my Dad, who is very handy in the aesthetics department. The other notable appearance issues are common and minor, such as the usual melted '94 tail lights, a seperated seam in the drivers seat and a semi ripped soft top with a dry and cracked rear window.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers over modifications, but I'm not overly concerned with the car holding value. I did actually pick this one up because I understood the 94's rarity, and paid close to what could've gotten me a running/driving 91-93. The previous owner had been trying to get rid of it for a very long while, and I don't think it would've met a favorable fate had I not found it. That being said, the modifications that I have planned will only change things mechanically. When everything is said and done, I want the exterior of the car to appear to be a factory stock '94 XR2. Plus, anything I pull off the car will hang out in my garage incase I ever decide to return it to stock.

My plan for the car is for it to be a "as low buck as possible" (and reliable) sleeper. The goal is to get the car to dyno as close to 250hp, while spending as little as possible on modifications. The Capri currently shares my garage with my 1993 AWD Eagle Talon. I have plans for the Talon, but they will be happening slowly due to costs (Trans rebuild, Cams, nicer FMIC etc. $$$). Since I love wrenching, I wanted something to do out in the garage while I'm trying to save for the next big part for the other car. In fact, I've actually scrapped the F2T parts idea and will be sourcing many items from my large 12 year hoard of stock DSM parts to modify the Capri.

At some point I will be posting a project log on here outlining my plans and progress. I'm going to be attempting something unique as far as tuning for the B6T, mostly because I refuse to get into MegaSquirt... I just haven't dug into the Capri much yet because my priority has been trying to finish and sell a broken POS WRX that is scattered all over the garage...

2008 Honda Fit Sport
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T

ShelbyZ

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »

Since the photo in the original post doesn't seem to be working anymore. Here are some more from another location.

2008 Honda Fit Sport
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T