TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: alt/water pump belts keep burning and breaking  (Read 1726 times)

cjizzle252

• 91 Capri XR2 89 Suzuki gsx1100 Katana
alt/water pump belts keep burning and breaking
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:09 PM »

the other night while driving i smelled something burning and then my charge light came on so i pulled over to find that the alt belt had broke off and was completely gone. I went to auto zone the next day got a new belt and put it on, then drove for about 2 hours straight without any issues, except when i started the car it squealed momentarily and then went away. A few hours after that i go to start my car and it squeals again then starts smoking pretty bad followed by the belt breaking again...i checked the alt pulley and the water pump pulley and the both spin freely and dont appear to be wobbly or loose etc. i did notice that only the water pump pulley has melted/burnt rubber on it and the other two appear to be clean and smooth. could this be caused by the tightness of the belt? to tight or to loose? or is one of my pulley out of line or seizing up? i believe i had the tension just right. i have another new belt but im not sure what to do at this point.