TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: blowing through alternator belts  (Read 9219 times)

EZFEED

• 1993 Capri, 1994 Capri
Re: blowing through alternator belts
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 12:07:12 AM »

Be sure that after you tighten the bolt for adjustment on top of the alternator you also tighten and torque (as per the manual) the lower alternator bolt that it pivots on as well. I did this and have never had an issue with the alternator belt again and im running the aftermarket pulley you get on one from autozone :)
That top bolt is just not enough to hold it

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: blowing through alternator belts
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 03:03:25 PM »

My first alternator belt lasted about 22 months (2 weeks ago). My bottom bolt backed out in that time because I never torqued it. The head of the bolt chewed the belt up to a thread. I changed the belt on the road and didn't really have anything good with me to pry on the alternator to get good tension. It wasn't long the belt would squeak here and there.
I kept procrastinating until the belt broke a couple nights ago in the worst place and at the worst time. I was on top a mountain 10 miles from anywhere when I heard it snap. My gauge quickly dropped to battery power and it's about 9:30pm. Do I turn around and make it to the closest town? Since I was on the EST/CST time line I opted to turn around and find the nearest parts store. Luckily with my lights dimming I made it to an AutoZone with 5 minutes to closing. Luckily again they had several belts for a Capri. Then the fun begins. First the street light went dark. Then my flashlight went dead. Then with a cold front pushing through it started drizzling. I was wearing shorts and flip flops, lol. I remember saying "this sucks", lol.
After using a bic lighter and feeling in the dark I got the job done. I finally made it home around midnight.

This morning I heard the belt squeak again. No procrastinating this time.

I come to the conclusion it's difficult to get a good bite on the alternator to apply proper tension. I ended up using a pry bar but it still wasn't easy. I barely tighten the top bolt so it would hold position. Then with the pry bar I could make positive ground. It's good and tight now. I think it will last. The key is proper tension. I can say this last belt even though not squeaking I could hear a whistling as I passed beside a barricade or other close obstacle. I now know that was the belt and a warning sign before the squeak. So next time beside a jersey barrier roll down your window and listen.

I now carry spare belts! 😊
Pages: 1 [2]