TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Aftermarket pistons need help  (Read 4094 times)

blackknight

• Capri XR2
Aftermarket pistons need help
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:25:55 PM »

What's up guys in the process of rebuilding my xr2 aka ol exy anywho I had to bore out the block 020 over due to a dip in the cylinders now I'm having trouble finding pistons with the correct compression ratio. I've did a little research on here and understand that miata pistons with the higher compression ratio will work. Here comes the questing will the higher compression ratio pistons work with stock turbo, injectors and ecu or will it run shitty because I drive my cars and I don't want to have to worry about fuel cutting off etc etc!!! Also have aftermarket maf filter

Thanks for reading

blackknight

• Capri XR2
Re: Aftermarket pistons need help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:50 PM »

Also have stock xr2 pistons for sale good shape

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

Certainly you can use "Miata" pistons. Push up the compression to the 9.1:1 and you will be happy with the availability and the extra low end grunt.

blackknight

• Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »

So I wouldn't have to worry about detonation when I gun it hard?

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 11:26:03 AM »

Necro'd for great justice.

I want to take the N/A pistons out of my old capri and put them in the XR2, throwing better rods in while I'm at it. This will be going into a festiva at some point. I'm also concerned about the detonation, if I can't dial it out with enough timing or good fuel...

AZGTX, are you sure those pistos are 9.1:1? I'm reading up to 9.4:1 in some posts...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:58:48 PM »

At least on the Capri, the automatics got 9.0:1 and the manuals got 9.4:1 I would guess that the Miata was the same way

I think there was a difference in the ring thickness between the different compressions, so maybe see what info is out there before diving in

If you're doing rods too might as well get some proper aftermarket forged pistons eh? Can get em in whatever CR flavour you want
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"