TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: 92 xr2 problems  (Read 8113 times)

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
92 xr2 problems
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »

Hello guys, I just bought a 92 xr2 with 162k from my dad that has been setting for about 2yrs.
This is my first mercury I've owned.
I won't bore you with everything i found my dad has rigged on it. But I do have some concerns about the turbo,
 how can i tell if its working correctly. seems like the throttle response isn't that great.
 Also my gear shift is really hard to shift into 5th and reverse.
 My ac works ok but jut noticed my heat doesnt work at all
and i need a soft top.
Oh yea did I forget to mention my horn doesn't work anymore and noticed the cruise doesn't either. Any ideas other than parting it out would be most appreciated.
Sam

Jolls

• 93 XR2
Re: 92 xr2 problems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »

Hi Sam,

Can't help you out on the turbo as there isn't much info to go on; however, if you are noticing it pull in it is probably working. It may need nothing more than a set of plugs, some clean fuel and a tune.
Difficult shifting could be as simple as replacing the bushes in the shaft. They are easy to replace.
If the heater isn't working first thing to check is that the cable to select the heater is connected and the tap works.
I don't have a wiring diagram handy as I am away for work so I can't advise if the horn and cruise control issues are linked. The horn should be very easy to fault find with a multi meter or 12v globe a couple of wires and alligator clips.

Cheers and Beers
Craig

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 12:15:21 PM »

Thanks Craig,
 I noticed this morning while driving ,the psi gauge on my instrument cluster reads above the zero around 4k. Is that normal ? I assume it measures the level my turbo assists or kicks in. Could there be a collapsed hose or something obvious i can see under the hood ?I plan on working on it this weekend.  Who knows i might find a loose wire or hose clamp missing.
Where exactly is the horn located on this model?
What are you referring to in reference to the heater the "tap"?
FYI: I have ran a tank of super through it already along with plugs rotor cap &button, oil change changed out my door handles, and my drivers side window switch,and a good pressure washing
 Thanks for the info craig
Sam

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »

Hope you got a good deal from your dad, you have a long laundry list of thing to do!

Turbo, when active should read above the 5 mark.  Any less and it won't go like it could.  Pull the hose feeding fresh air into the turbo.  Try and push/pull the vane inside.  If it moves, the turbo is heading out, needing replacement or a rebuild.  At 162k miles, I'm betting you need turbo work.

Gear shifting issues is probably the shifter bushing issue, again, at 162k probably all 6 need replacing. search this site for info on part numbers and instructions.  Tight shifting is SO much nicer...

There are plastic/nylon parts that actuate the heater that break.  Roosport sometimes stocks replacements made of metal, give them a buzz on where to look and if they have the part in stock.

The horn and cruise both share the same fuse, and both have to have the clockspring in the steering wheel functioning.  Clockspring is just that, a spring that keeps the horn buttons and cruise control connected to everything they should, even when the wheel turns.  Separately, the horn relay under the hood rusts out easily, and there is a switch the the clutch has to activate, problem being a hole in the plate in the clutch pedal needs to be plugged to make the switch work.

That's all I know, have fun with that xr2...

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:30 PM »

Blueamber,
       Yea it seems like it wasn't such a good deal when the list keeps growing like it is. Lol!
 Thanks for a lot of good info . I plan on Looking at the turbo tonight. Ill update ya what I find .

You know My horn stopped working after I pressure washed under the hood so maybe that relay gave out. Is it mounted to the firewall? I did check the fuses but it doesn't hurt to look at em again.

On the other hand ,that clock spring thing on the column sounds like a big deal. I just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.

I'm just happy I have a shop to work in instead of the gravel driveway we had when I was little.

Thanks again.
Sam

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

The horn relay is behind the driver side headlight bucket area.  its the one with rust falling out of it, at least every one I've ever seen.  The clockspring really isn't bad, you just find a junk car, remove the steering wheel, and CAREFULLY remove the spring assembly.  You know that techcapri.com has the repair manual on-line?

You are driving the car, that counts for a lot, so there are lots of things right with the car...and I still work in my driveway, lucky you with a shop...

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »

I bought a 93 non turbo along with the 92 I hope the clock spring is still in tact.

Where is the turbo mounted on the motor?
Or is it located on top of the air box beside the battery?

I will definitely download that manual tonight.

Thanks again
Sam

blueamber

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »

I know we all have to learn this stuff... follow the air cleaner piping down to the front of the engine,,, that thing attached to the exhaust manifold is the turbo.  That's how it works, the exhaust pushes a vane/propeller inside the turbo, pressurizing the turbo output.  There is a big hose leaving the turbo that goes to the intercooler (air radiator) to the right front of the car, and a big hose from there goes up into the throttle body.  Make sure all those hoses are not cracked, and hose clamps are tight, air leaks lessen the turbo pressure.

theunnamed1

• 1991 Mercury Capri N/A Auto
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »

On the left side of the center console under the dash there is a mechinisim to close and open the heat vent. Just look under there with a flash light while you switch the heat lever back and forth.  You should see them moving. Its like white plastic I think. One should be attached to the other. If the two are not attached then that is your problem with the heat. The higher of the two mechinisims is the one that lets the heat out. Turn the heat on and manually move that mechinisim and see if the heat starts coming out of the vents. What I did is hooked a wire between the two mechinisms so that they worked together as they should.

91 Mercury Capri N/A 73k miles

Jolls

• 93 XR2
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am on route between Bangkok, Sydney, Canberra, Auckland and Wellington and will still be on the road for another week. It looks like most of your questions have been answered. I am in the process of restoring a 93 XR2 so am likely to come across most of the problems as I transfer parts from a going concern with an accident damaged pillar to a bare shell. I should be back working on it in the next couple of weeks. I trust most of your problems are solved by then. The answers to most problems are usually quite simple - the difficult part is the fault finding. If you take you time and ask the questions I'm sure you will get there. Just remember that the only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask and you should be fine with the help of the wisdom on this site.
Cheers and Beers
Craig

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:12:19 PM »

Well blueamber and Craig
I have some fairly decient news about my xr2

Heater issue: while trouble shooting under the dash I found some broken plastic components that need replacing , so roosports will be receiving a call from me Tuesday morning for Replacements.

Horn issue:

I've located the horn relay under the drivers light bucket and it was as you said really corroded so I removed the screw and beat it "lightly" with a rubber mallet lol! My horn now works!!!!

Turbo:   I found the TURBO!! Hallelujah!!! Well I removed the hose from the air supply box and was able to turn the "vane" thing inside a little bit. If it moves freely Does that mean the unit is in dire need of repair or should I continue to look for A frayed or cracked hose. 

Have i told you guys that My wife has fallen in love with this car , not because of the color ,or the gas savings ,but because it gets me out of the house and out of her hair for a while. Well ......not too much.   Truth is it gives me a chance to bond with my son out in my shop and also a chance to have some beers.
                                                                  Signed ;
                                                                           Still learning

blueamber

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:15 AM »

Glad things are getting done!  The more things work, the more I enjoy my cars...

The potential issue with the turbo is not whether it turns or not (if it was stuck I don't think the car would run) rather is there play in the turbine.  Grasp the turbine with your fingertips and push in and out rather than attempt to rotate.  If brand new, the turbine has no play.  If yours moves in and out, as little as a sixteenth of an inch, it means the turbine bearings are wearing out, and the turbine isn't seating properly to give maximum air compression.  As the bearings continue to wear, the bearings get more and more slop, and compression continues to go down.  Only cheap way out is to find a good turbo in a junk yard, I've gotten one good one for $50 is the past.  Rebuild kits are available, I've never tried to rebuild, I've always heard that a turbo expert needs to do the work...

If your horn works, then the clockspring is probably ok, and the cruise control issue may be simple to fix.  Check that clutch pedal, and plug that hole in the plate that operates the switch.  That has fixed several on my cars...

Working on a car is a great thing to do with a son...or daughter... My son never was interested, this was brought home to me one time when he announced his car wouldn't start, and he had changed the oil to try to get it running...  :-\ :-[ ;D

010sambo

• 1992 Xr2 1995 F150
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »

My turbo update :
I've done Exactly what you said. The vain inside the turbo doesn't seem to be wobbly or loose While pulling on it , it seems to be stable inside of there. I've also downloaded the shop manual ,like you said, now deciphering all of the pressure valves, boost sensors, etc is another thing
. It just seems strange that it stopped working after I pressure washed under the hood ,maybe a coincidence ,I don't know. Are there any long term effect if it just doesn't work and I continue to drive it until I find the problem and fix it? Thanks    Sam