TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Replacing the rack... a mistake  (Read 2190 times)

blueamber

Replacing the rack... a mistake
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:45:12 PM »

Got an inexpensive automatic 94 capri that I plan to flip, had been diagnosed as having a leaky rack and running hot...  Leaked onto the cat and smoked like crazy... Bought a rebuilt rack and had my mechanic put it in, I have bad hands this month... drove it home and it smoked like crazy, looked in the reservoir and it was overflowing... cussed the mechanic for overfilling it and damaging the new rack... took out fluid to the correct level, and drove it around with a new thermostat (original was in it) and new radiator cap that fixed the overheating... still smoking and looked in the reservoir and it was overflowing again???... then realized that the reason the 1st rack failed was possibly the relief valve failed in the power steering pump, over-pressurizing the rack.  Swapped out the pump with a used one and it doesn't overflow anymore, and the leak in the new rack seems to have stopped.

So, I learned the hard way to make sure a pressure test is run on the power steering system to eliminate the pump as the reason for rack leaks from over-pressure.  Simple stuff...