TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: 1991 XR2 Alt Gauge  (Read 3608 times)

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
1991 XR2 Alt Gauge
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »

Good morning everyone!!

This weekend here in my city is the big 10th annual Metro Cruise Aug 22 & 23. I just got my little XR2 a month ago and I am certainly going to be a part of it!
    What I would like to ask, is about the alt charging GAUGE. When everything is working ok with the charging system, where should the needle be when driving? Mine is always almost right to the end of the solid white area just before it breaks off at the RED mark. Is this where it should be all the time, or should I get ready to replace the alt? The car starts good and runs good. I replaced the ground cable from the engine to the right front strut area, but it didn't make any difference. Even the oil pressure gauge works funky, always reading very low or sometimes up half way. (Haven't changed the sender on that yet. Not for the price sellers want.)
    So if anyone could let me know what the alt charging gauge should read when idling or driving, I would appreciate it.
 I am getting use to the little car and all its quirks and really enjoy driving it. Get a lot of looks when I am out and about with it!

Thanks, XR2Man...JIM

blueamber

Re: 1991 XR2 Alt Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:07:16 AM »

Put a voltmeter on your battery, it should read maybe 13.5 to 14 volts with engine on.
I'm starting to believe the oil pressure on capris really can read normal (when cold) and very low (when hot).  If it reads 0 all the time, I would suspect a bad connection somewhere, but reading low and high at times seems a normal operation mode.  My capris had good readings at 90k miles (my lowest mileage purchased).  My red 91 xr2 is at 125k, and it reads a little lower than it used to.  My black 93 xr2 at 145k reads normal cold and almost nothing hot, but no valve clatter so know there is SOME oil being pumped...

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:18:09 AM »

Sometimes I start the engine and the oil pressure is right up there, but then later it drops way down, sometimes even dropping down to almost nothing. There is no clatter so I know it is ok. Even on the highway the gauge reads almost nothing but it purrs right along. I work for a truck dealership for the past 43 years so when and if I hear the engine NOT running smooth I'll know enough to shut it down. I do have to get it in and get the timing belt and water pump changed. The engine has 116,000 miles on it, so I think its time for a redo. I sure do like that little car. Lots of fun to drive. I will hook up a volt meter and see what it reads. Thanks for the advice.
XR2man...Jim

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »

The little XR2 is tucked away in the garage for the winter. The oil pressure gauge for some reason started to work good again. I had replaced the ground cable under the hood and that might have had something to do with it. Didn't at first but now the oil pressure gauge seems to be working ok.
   As far as the alt gauge goes, when the car is started up it still goes right up to almost the end of the solid white line. To me that seems kind of high but the car runs good and no problems starting it. Any thoughts on this? Battery is good and alt output is good.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »

Mine runs at the very top of the gauge also.  I had to replace my alternator and that's where it's been for months with no problems.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »

On one of these Capri sites it said to clean the ground strap connections by the passenger side strut to engine grounds. I did and mine worked well for awhile and then was back intermittent.

When I had my head off I noticed a small plug in the port going to the oil pressure sending unit. The hole in that plug insert was a very small hole.  I could see that hole plugging with trash. So I removed my sending unit and blew that passage out with air and some carb cleaner. I haven't had any problems from my gauge since.

It will still read low with a warm engine at idle but it's always above the line. I think them oil pumps were a bad design. An aftermarket one should perform better. As long as then valves aren't rattling you are okay.

I've been wondering about the alternator too. My gauge always reads high. I checked with a DVOM and my battery is right at 12.5v and my alternator puts out 15.1v which scares me. It's not a high priority but it's on my list. Them alternators aren't cheap. Usually a reading above 14.0v means something is wrong or going wrong with the voltage regulator.

I never seen a car with so many wiring issues. I went through and cleaned all ground strap connections and used dielectric grease on all the connectors. The wiring harness is sensitive to moisture. Sealing all my connections helped a bunch

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »

I've had alternators that put out 13 volts, and ones that have put out 14.7V. Not sure why there was such a spread.
You're right though, Ford dropped the ball on the electrical systems, the plugs should have been seals weatherproof style plugs like the ones GM and a few others used at the time.

Terminal cleaner and Dielectric grease really help for cars whose connectors are in poor shape
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"