TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Removing exhaust mani gasket  (Read 2292 times)

accordfan2002

• 91 Capri XR2, 2002 Accord Ex, 09 Ram 1500
Removing exhaust mani gasket
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »

Hey guys. This is the first time I've ever posted on any forum but I'm glad to be apart of the Capri Forum.

My question is:
How did you guys go about removing the nuts from the exhaust mani to the turbo? I've got to change the gaskets but I am fighting to find a way to remove what I count is 4 nuts to the turbo.
The stock heat shield from the turbo has been removed and the nuts from the exhaust to the block have been removed. I just don't want to have to remove the exhaust from the bottom of the turbo just..

Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Removing exhaust mani gasket
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:13 PM »

First off, welcome to TeamCapri!

Is the gasket between the manifold & turbo leaking? It's one of those things, if it's not absolutely necessary to touch it, it's probably better off left alone. There are 4 studs in the manifold, they have a very high tendency to strip or snap when you try to remove them. Soaking in penetrating fluid and/or having an oxy torch to heat the studs does help.

Use the best anti-seize you can find when re-assembling. It's a tough spot though, those fasteners see a LOT of heat.

If you're struggling to do this on-car, it's not going to happen. You're going to need to remove the manifold/turbo from the car as one unit, and break it down further once it's off the car. Same deal with the 3-bolt exhaust flange - lots of penetrating fluid.

Best of luck, keep us updated with your progress!
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

accordfan2002

• 91 Capri XR2, 2002 Accord Ex, 09 Ram 1500
Re: Removing exhaust mani gasket
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:21 AM »

Thanks. Yeah I started to soak it with pb blaster and realized that chances are pretty good that I'll have to remove it as one unit. I did most of it this afternoon but it was about to rain so I stopped, leaving the bolt mounting the turbo to the engine block as a holder until later.

I really don't think that the previous owners did any maintenance themselves so the engine was neglected from cleaning. I'll have some side projects for suspension rebuild and configurations so I'll be posting much more.... as well as reading/researching.

For anyone one reading this.... ALWAY PLACE A BIT OF ANTI-SEIZE RELEASING on high temp bolts.

Thanks for the reply rocketman.