TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oil Pressure Indicator Light/Sender Unit  (Read 9766 times)

Jolls

• 93 XR2
Oil Pressure Indicator Light/Sender Unit
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:47:16 AM »

Guys,

I've been lurking in the shadows a bit learning what I can from the wisdom that can be found here. In particular I have been following the threads on the oil pressure sender. I won't rehash the problems of finding an original one that works or the numerous attempts at identifying an appropriate after market replacement. Most of that you can find if you search this site. Another resource that captures my research in Oz can be found here:

http://capriconvertible.com/index.php/forum/default-topic/1147-oil-pressure-sender-specification

The short version of the research is:

For anyone searching for the specifications of the OEM sender. I found the information in an original Ford manual re testing the gauge. It confirms what I have found on the web (anecdotal evidence). The measurements are in kg/cm2. 1 kg/cm2 is close enough to 1 Bar and 100 kpa. The top of the scale shown is 8 kg/cm2 which is higher than the rating of the sender. This is probably so the gauge isn't damaged by the sender output. It does provide the data required to test the gauge (with a variable potentiometer) and allows us to develop the output curve for the sender.

Sender rating - O to 700 kpa (7 Bar/100 psi)
Gauge rating 0 - 800 kpa (8 bar/ 120 psi/)
0 kpa/bsr/psi) - 116.2 ohms
200 kpa/2 bar/30 psi - 49.5 ohms
400 kpa/4 basr/60 psi - 31.3 ohms
600 kpa/6 bar/90 psi - 17 ohms
800 kpa/8 bar/120 psi - 8 ohms

I have yet to locate an exact match but Wells in the US has a sender that approximates fairly well:

rated at 100 psi
Switch to close at 2-6 PSI (can install an idiot light as well as the output to the gauge)
80 PSI - 18 Ohms
30 PSI - 40 Ohms
5 PSI - 65 Ohms
0 PSI - 100 Ohms

The readings at the gauge will be slightly higher than actual in the low range and slightly lower at the high range. The good thing is that normal operating pressure should be in the centre of the gauge and also pretty accurate. My XR2 doesn't have the bar markings so the actual calibration doesn't really matter that much. Note that the WElls sensor is slightly longer. I haven't fitted it yet but I suspect it may hit the manifold bracket (may not - it will be a bee's dick either way)

So now to the related question that drives this post; has anyone wired up an idiot light to the unused check engine light in the instrument cluster? If so I would be great if you could take the time to share your wisdom.

This is what I have come up with so far. I have  identified two spare lights in the cluster - one marked check engine. This would be a logical place to wire in the low oil pressure warning light. I've just had a good look at the wiring diagram in manual. By my read there is power to every light in the instrument cluster. It is almost as if they want us to modify it. I am not sure which light is which yet. The wiring diagram shows two unlabelled lights.

One is provided power through connector 01 and inputs to earth (or variable senders) through connector 02. The other picks up power and outputs to senders/earths through connector 03.

Finding which light does what should be a matter of providing power as per the wiring diagram and earth to then find the correct terminal output.

I have ordered in a spare dash to have a play before I crack on. If you have already done this let me know and I will follow your lead, If you see any flaws in the approach let me know. You will find the schematics at 26-01-19 and 26-01-20 in the Capri Manual.

My intent (should the mod work as planned) is to document the entire process so we can all have a readily available mod to replace the shitty Ford system.

Cheers and Beers

Jolls

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Oil Pressure Indicator Light/Sender Unit
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:30 AM »

The Check Engine light is used in the Capri, at least in the US here - it's used to warn of a fault & also used in the diagnostic to pull the codes.

There are two lights un-used on the XR2 - "Power Mode" and "Manual Shift" MS light was used on the autos, and I think PM was intended for the autos as well, but not used? I don't own & really haven't driven the auto capri much so maybe someone who does can enlighten us.

On my red XR2 I've re-purposed the power mode light - I wired a simple circuit to the stock boost cut switch ( I have a chipped ECU, I can safely run 16psi) which activates at ~11psi to turn on the "power mode" light. It's a simple little mod I like quite a lot. This required adding a new wire to the gauge cluster's harness, as there was no wire in the harness originally. You can follow the traces & corresponding wiring on the back of the cluster. Here's a crappy video of it operating: http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2875.0.html

But let me get this right - you'd like to use both the stock gauge & an idiot light, together? By the time the light comes on you're likely in a heap of trouble anyways. Fortunately for the Capri sudden oil pressure loss is not a common issue, or even really an issue at all. The hydraulic lifters clacking away are an audible warning of low pressure, as well.

Why not install a proper aftermarket electronic gauge separately in the dash? or even add it to the stock cluster inside?

TLDR; yes it's actually quite simple to re-purpose one of the unused warning lights. Just add your own wire to the appropriate part of the cluster

Sidenote: your XR2, is a turbo? With a tickford badge, yes? It's genuine?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Jolls

• 93 XR2
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »

G'day Rocketman,

My XR2 was sold to me as a Tickford vehicle. Little did I know that Tickford only did the Clubbies which was mostly about the styling and lowered springs for the under-steer. Tickford may have been responsible for some of the work on my XR2 as a one off as it has a complete Clubbie interior spec less the two seats and the suspension work done. I can't vouch for its authenticity though - it is commopn for ther Tickford badges to replace the Blue Ovals (Ford) over here.

I am still working the annoying issues before I get onto the performace. She goes brilliantly so I expect that there has been some work done; unfortunately the PO didn't know much. I have had a look at your Chip and will follow up on it down the track.

I have re-checked the OEM Manual (Aussie manual) and definitely nothing in the Check Engine Area and perhaps this makes for a third light above the Power and Manual Shift Light to play with down the track. I like the idea of using the power lights for the turbo boost.

I have toyed with the idea of aftermarket gauges etc. but I'm pretty happy with the current instrument cluster in what is currently the wife's daily driver. My efforts are mostly going into placing a 1941 International Ute Body onto one of our Aussie V6 Utes and rebuilding some 40s and 50s Brit Bikes so time is the limiting factor for me. I may purchase another Capri to build a Clubbie style with more grunt,

As for why the idiot light and the oil gauge - it comes with the sender otherwise I wouldn't bother. A bit like your power light - why not. Do you know if anyone over your way has used the PS144 from Wells as a replacement? IOf so did thay get the clearance required?

I trust this answers all the questions.

Cheers and Beers

Craig

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 04:09:15 AM »

While I had my head off and easy access to the oil pressure switch I took it off for inspection and a little cleaning.

What I found is the oil port behind the switch takes a 90 upwards towards the head. The port in the head that feeds oil to the switch has a plug in the block with a pinhole in the middle of it. It's lucky to be a 1/16" hole. So I sprayed carb cleaner through it to make sure it was clean. I can see the possibility of that hole plugging up and altering readings.

I also noticed on the switch like many other stock Capri sending units that it was made in Germany by VDO. It also had 700 kpa stamped on it.

Doing a quickie search on VDO brings up a 100 psi oil pressure switch at Jegs, Summit Racing and other online stores. All you have to do is add the blade connector which nuts down on the round connector. Pictures look identical. I haven't gone as far as looking at the detailed ohm specs but it looks promising. Just search out VDO sending unit.

I have the auto shift and the only light I have seen is the "manual shift" light when you click the button on the shifter. It's kind of useless like you don't know you're taching 6000 in 2nd gear. 😊

The other light I haven't seen but I haven't dogged the car yet.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:18:45 AM by mitch1204 »

Gaz

• Do no harm, take no sh!t.
    • 92 XR2, 01 LL Bean Outback, 92 Concours, 86 F150
    • Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

So what's the consensus on a suitable replacement? BWD S367?

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »

Interesting research, thanks.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »

So what's the consensus on a suitable replacement? BWD S367?

That sender unit is just an on\off switch which only sends an output when there is low pressure(to turn on a dummy light).
If you installed that switch,  the oil guage would read 0 when there is pressure and max the gauge out when there’s none…LOL

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »

Oh, duh. I had a part of numbers,  I thought that was it. Ha

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »

And the correct number is?
Jack Byrd

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »

PS261, by standard.

It crosses to a couple different sensors that supposedly will work, S367 being one of them. Of course, not everything is listed about each interchange number, though, so more to follow.

Here, feckin' throw this in: https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-18-5899-Oil-Pressure-Sender/dp/B000FQ79JO

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
Jack Byrd

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »

The Standard Motor Products PS261 costs $181 on Rockauto…ouch way overpriced
The S367 is a just a switch for a dummy light
The Sierra 18-5899 from that Amazon link would be a bad choice…wrong threads for mounting on the engine block and the electrical ohm specs are 4X to high. With this sender you would need 65+psi before the dash gauge would even move off zero…LOL

With a trim pot I was able to find the required ohm reading for the dash gauge in my car(battery voltage was 14.5V).
67 Ohms = 1psi
48 Ohms = 30psi
32 Ohms = 60psi
16 Ohms = 90psi
0 Ohms = 120psi

From the Wells parts catalog, there looks to be four senders that have the correct mounting threads and the right electrical curve for our dash guage.
(All of the prices were obtained from AutoZone)
PS256 = miata/probe = $134
PS144= Nissan 300ZX = this sender's specs was mentioned in the first post, seems to be unavailable
PS143= 78 Datsun 280Z = $39
PS130= 77 Datsun 280Z =$16

IMHO…the  Wells/Duralast PS130 is the clear winner, the only downside is that you’ll have to change the electrical spade connector to a bullet connector.

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-pressure-switch/duralast-oil-pressure-switch/123638_0_0_5673?checkfit=true
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:23:05 AM by chrispoe »

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »

The ps130 crosses to the BWD s367, which lists it as for a gauge, not a light. Interesting. Isn't the block boss thread 1/8-27, or is it 1/4-28?

The ps143 crosses to BWD S320.

Ps144 crosses to IDI 17-0589.

Ps256 crosses to BWD S4129
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:54:25 PM by Gaz »

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »

The block threads are 1/8-28 ISO, also known as British Pipe Standard

I’m not sure where you’re getting you cross reference part numbers from.
Here’s the listings from BWD Ecatalog
BWD s320 = http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/bwd/#/searchparts/searchText/s320?type=p&search=s
BWD s367 = http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/bwd/#/searchparts/searchText/s367?type=p&search=s
They both are listed as dummy light switches.

BWD S4129 seems to be a correct match for Wells PS256, but it’s costs $159 at CarQuest
IDI 17-0589 also looks to be correct for Wells PS144. Costs about $46 at O’Reillys, the switches resistance curve looks like it will make the dash gauge read 40psi when the engine is at 30psi but as the engine oil psi increases the gauge will become more accurate.

Gaz

• Saint Cloud Exhaust
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 01:02:23 AM »

I'm crossing these at O'Reilly, where I work. For some reason, some sensors are known as switch in this system.
Pages: [1] 2