TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Shifter/linkage R&R  (Read 3249 times)

Joe M

Shifter/linkage R&R
« on: July 18, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »

Last year the shifter dropped through the floor on my '91 XR2.  I couldn't clear time to work on it and it was my daily driver, so I took it to a local mechanic.  They said a "rubber part" had separated and the shifter control rod had dropped down.  They couldn't find parts for a proper fix so they jerry-rigged it back together.  The car has been driveable but hell to shift ever since (gated where it should be, but resistance going into each gear).  I downloaded the factory manual and I plan to take everything apart for a look now the Capri is relegated to second-line service.   I have heard there are plastic retaining clips that break and that are unobtainium, but I guess I won't know until I have everything part.  Has anyone else encountered this before?  Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance.

blueamber

Re: Shifter/linkage R&R
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »

There are no parts available to do a factory fix, but easy fixes are available.  Not sure how the mechanic secured the shifter. it sounds like he attached something to the shift rod itself that is causing shifting to be hard.  The rod attaches the shifter to the trans.  First I would undo whatever he has done.  Easiest fix (which I have done on one of my Capris) is to remove the console and boot, pull the shifter up into position, drill a hole anywhere near the shifter so the hole travels through the assembly holding the shifter.  Use a self tapping machine screw to hold the shifter up, and that's it.  It seems flimsy, so you could use several, but one screw has held up my shifter for several years of driving...Chris

Joe M

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the response.  That sounds like an easy fix.

BigRedOzzy

• '93 Capri Sport, '03 Focus SE, '10 Fusion Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »

I've had the dropped shifter in my "Brand New" '93 Capri "Sport".  Can't wait to try the fix.  I have lots of sheet metal screws!
Tony Salazar
Retired USAF Mustang
Retired Teacher
Just Plain Retired :-)

BigRedOzzy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:24:14 PM »

When I dropped the shifter, I found that there was already a 2.5" sheet metal screw fixed to the bottom part.  I reassembled the upper and lower halves, drilled out the holes, and used a Grade 8 bolt/lock-washer/nut combo, with Loctite to boot. 
Tony Salazar
Retired USAF Mustang
Retired Teacher

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:54:14 PM »

Yeah, seems underkill, but one screw or bolt will do the job....

BigRedOzzy

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:04 PM »

Yeah!  I just wanted a little convertible to cruise around in.  Don't plan to do any drag or other form of racing, so shifts will be relatively "gentle."   That long sheet metal screw was a surprise.
Tony Salazar
Retired USAF Mustang
Retired Teacher