TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Want To Buy Seat or Seat Upholstery  (Read 4753 times)

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
Want To Buy Seat or Seat Upholstery
« on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »

Hi there,

I have a 1991 Mercury Capri convertible XR2. The driver seat cushion and seat back needs the upholstery covers in the Dark Graphite which I believe was the only interior color on this year. Has a little fleck of red in it. Been looking and looking. Might have to buy aftermarket (yuck) if I cant come across the original. Let me know if anyone has and reasonable pricing.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Want To Buy Seat or Seat Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »

Im sure someone has some OE seat fabrics somewhere.

If not, there was a seller on eBay selling new reproduction fabrics for front & back seats in just about any fabric/leather/pleather you might want. Might be worth looking into
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Greg_B

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:49 AM »

Or I think you can swap covers from an unworn passenger seat.
Greg

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 03:41:30 AM »

I'm still looking. Thought I had found a place online that specializes in old car upholstery but not for the Capri's. Tried that one site online that sells parts for the Capri's but they have REPRO'S that don't match anything. Plus their pricing is otta sight! Tried used auto yard's but nothing. Will keep looking though. Hate to slip cover the seats!

theunnamed1

• 1991 Mercury Capri N/A Auto
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »

My passenger seat is in pretty awesome shape. Let me ask my wife if she would mind if I take it off. Im going to replace the seats anyways. What is your offer?

91 Mercury Capri N/A 73k miles

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »

I recently swapped out my seats.  i have both originals sitting in my shop.  Passenger seat is great; drivers side is worn. 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

woz

• 91 Capri non-turbo
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:17:05 PM »

I have heard good things about SMS http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ from a colleague who redid his '67 Vette.  It may be worth a call.

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

I have heard good things about SMS http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ from a colleague who redid his '67 Vette.  It may be worth a call.

I did get ahold of this company. If you send them a sample of the seat material, they will MAKE the material! They have a machine that will do it. Material is 60 inches wide X 1 yard, depends of how much material you want to buy. $90.00 a yard. The guy I talked to said my car would need about 3 yards, $270.00 worth. Then I would have to find an upholstery place that with make the seat covers.