Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Capri XR-2 89-94

Belt squeal

(1/2) > >>

Krymac:
My belt squeals under load at low rpm's. Especially when lights are on and cooling fan kicks on. Any ideas on what it could be before I try to start pinpointing it myself?

grantduffield:
Most likely a worn or incorrectly sized alternator belt.  Its not at all uncommon on these cars. 

The squeal is caused because the alternator is pulling harder at start up and when electrical system is under load.  You may want to check your battery too as it may not be holding enough charge and therefore requiring the alternator to work more/longer.  In all events, you want to go ahead and check and (if necessary) replace the alt belt because it also drives the water pump and if it breaks, you could overheat the engine.  (learn from my mistake - i just had this happen a few weeks ago).   

grantduffield:
PS:  See Rocketman's recent "Dead Battery" response.   

turboxr291:
From my Exp when my belt started squealing was from the harmonic balancer so check to see if you have a massive wobble from that as well

Rocketman:
Always good to check for wobble but these belts really are an issue, on almost every Capri I've owned/touched.

This past year the harmonic balancers started becoming an issue for folks, I think they've hit a critical age where they start deteriorating

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version