TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Sloppy shifter - not the 4 bushings everyone mentions?  (Read 7798 times)

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
Sloppy shifter - not the 4 bushings everyone mentions?
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »

My shifter has a sloppy feel to it when it is in gear but not while shifting.  It easily moves left/right when it's in gear.  I bought the 4 bushings everyone has mentioned from Napa but I don't think they need to be replaced.  When I move the shifter from underneath, it appears the sloppiness is due to a bushing above the 2 on the end of the shifter.  Is there another bushing (in the center console, I assume) that is typically replaced? I don't see a lot of movement in the linkages under the car even though the shifter moves left/right several inches while in gear.  It feels like the gates are really wide.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Sloppy shifter - not the 4 bushings everyone mentions?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:53:22 PM »

If you have the bushings, I'd say put them in, and then see what the shifter feels like. It doesn't take much play on the short end to translate to a lot of play up top.

There's a clamshell style bushing, sort of a socket, that the shifter actually pivots in but this rarely wears out. You can get replacements for this though. There's a wire spring that holds the bushings & shifter into place, I guess make sure this hasn't popped out? You can reach it by removing the console
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »

Well, there ARE 6 bushings that can be replaced, just nobody talks about the last 2 because they are more difficult to replace.  At the end of the shift rod, near the transmission, is an open 'U' joint connected to the shaft with a flanged bolt with bushing 5 and 6 there (no nut, the end is expanded to stay in place).  To replace those bushings you have to remove the shaft, drill out the bolt, buy a replacement bolt and nut, and install #5 and #6 bushings.

The trick is finding the correct replacement, it has to be the exact correct shaft diameter, the correct shoulder location, and length.  My local Mazda dealer sells them (for the 89 Mazda 323), somewhere in this forum is probably the part number...Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »

The 2 that are rivetted in don't really see the same abuse that the other 4 see, but yeah it doesn't hurt to replace them if you're willing to take the time to do it.

Mazda does sell the correct shoulder bolt, there's a few other sources for it as well that I have run across on other Mazda forums. Don't remember them off the top of my head.

blueamber

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »

My project Capri from Texas had many rubber parts replaced, replaced badly, or needing to be replaced... I think it was parked in the desert for a few years... that forward bolt was replaced with a 1/8" one wrapped in rubber hose material to help take up the slop... it didn't work very well... the other bolts were seated in a bushing reamed out to take up the slack, alot of work to avoid buying those correct bushings, probably didn't know how to get them, had almost a foot of slop...

Chicken

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »

The captured bushings are probably the issue.  I have met a fair number that NEEDED replacement. Use an appropriate bolt and locktite on the nut to replace the rod.

All the bushings are the same and are available at Ford or Mazda authorized vendors for less than most resalers.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

94daves

• 1994 Mercury Capri N/A
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

I determined what the problem was.  The 2 bushings on the end of the rod closest to the engine were completely missing.  Using the bushings I purchased from NAPA, I put them in (very easy to do) and the shifter feels great.  I looked at the 2 bushings directly under the shifter and they were still there, no disintegration.  I didn't even bother with the bushing the shifter pivots in.  Thanks for everyone's help. 

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:38 AM »

My easy to replace bushings are like yours, reasonably tight, however, the forward ones are worn out.  What is the easiest procedure for removing the rivet?

Thanks, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »

It'd be best to remove the linkage from the vehicle, then use a drill press or grinder to remove the rivet. You'll need a replacement shoulder bolt to go in it's place

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:59:49 PM »

It'd be best to remove the linkage from the vehicle, then use a drill press or grinder to remove the rivet. You'll need a replacement shoulder bolt to go in it's place

Thanks, when I fix my overheating, belt throwing problem, that'll probably be the next thing I do.  Love the car and it's been nothing PITA....

Jack
Jack Byrd

JJ

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 12:16:50 PM »

My project Capri from Texas had many rubber parts replaced, replaced badly, or needing to be replaced... I think it was parked in the desert for a few years... that forward bolt was replaced with a 1/8" one wrapped in rubber hose material to help take up the slop... it didn't work very well... the other bolts were seated in a bushing reamed out to take up the slack, alot of work to avoid buying those correct bushings, probably didn't know how to get them, had almost a foot of slop...

imagine my surprise after reading this, I happened to stumble across this post:

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,289.msg12573.html#msg12573

same car? or just same idea? lol

WashiestSnake

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 Mercury Capri
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »

imagine my surprise after reading this, I happened to stumble across this post:

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,289.msg12573.html#msg12573

same car? or just same idea? lol
Lol wow, Capris really do change owners often mine had 11 Owners before me. Out of all of the owners Ive owned it the longest, coming shortly after the original owner who had it for 5 years.
1991 Mercury Capri 68,xxx Miles--Project(AWD)
1996 Lincoln Continental -- The Boat(Given to my Brother)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »

I'm only the third owner of the white one I bought recently.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd